• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cleaning the nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbychic07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
how would any of you go about cleaning out your beardie's nostils haha they seem to be kind of clogged at the moment and douglas wants to stick a toothpick in there to break it up i highly doubt that is the way to clean his nose so any answers

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't touch the nostrils. They do shed out of them. What does it looked clogged with - skin?

rugbychic07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
actually it looks like dirt i bathed him and one side looks good so i think it will come out on his own how dirt got in there i have no clue i think many the substrant i know i was adviced agaisnt alfala meal but i have seen it elsewhere being fine it does desolve into powder a bit but it also disovles in water so i figured it would be fine for bubba its all good now he is fine

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
when ingested the alfalfa does not disolve nor digest it clumps in the intestines.
you need to get that out of there
it also holds bacteria like no tomorrow
you need to use a solid substrate. something like paper towels, newspaper, non-adhesive shelf liner (purchased at walmart for like 4 bux a roll), repti carpet (i dont particularly like) or tiles which you can buy at lowes/home depot for around 1.49 per 12x12 piece (i use slate i like it best but ceramic is good too)
please take out the alfalfa it is bad.

as far as the nostrils. if your beardie is shedding and the nostrils cap over and your beardie appears to be having difficulty breathing it is ok to "aid" the nostril shed with a damp washcloth and some gentle rubbing to loosen it up. If it is dirt and stuff caked in there it will be best to soak him and spray the area to break up the clog and gently wipe with a paper towel or rag.

brian
cryptic dragons

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how are his nostrils doing?

i know its a seperate post bug how is his lip doing?

and did you get the substrate switched out?

brian
cryptic dragons

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just a side note that you have to be very careful with the nostrils. you could do some real harm if you go digging in there. also, i'm in agreement with everyone. you need to get rid of the alfalfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.