• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Classroom Pet

Juliambe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I'm a 4th grade teacher and my students would like a class pet. In researching what animals were a good class pet, bearded dragons came up. Now I'm not a pet person at all and don't wish to ever own a pet for myself. In looking at the different options, the bearded dragon actually freaks me out less than the hamsters and gerbils. I don't like the idea of feeding it crickets, but I'll make the students do that. This would be something the students are taking care of every day. I'm just not sure what to do for the weekend, do I have a student take it home on the weekends? Most of them ride the bus. I know long breaks either I or a a student who has shown great responsibility in taking care of it and their parent agrees would take it home.

Do you think this would be a good class pet? If so are there any kid friendly books to read about how to take care of them or videos.

I am having them write a persuasive piece on the animal they want as a class pet after reading information about the different ones they can have. We won't be getting a class pet for another month or two, or I may wait until after Christmas break. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before we get one and having the students learn about the animal we'll take care of and having responsibility for it. Ultimately it's my decision which one we get and I'm leaning more towards the bearded dragon than other ones I've seen.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you don't want a pet, then I wouldn't get a bearded dragon as a class pet. You would need to take it home for the weekend or for long breaks you just can't leave them in the classroom. You could let the students take it home but it will be stressful for the dragon to be moved from so many different places.

Wild With Roxi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wouldn't get a bearded dragon as a class pet, they require far to much time and care and it wouldn't be fair to move them around or leave them in the classroom.

CUra88er

Bearded Dragon Egg
I teach 5th and have one as a class pet!!! I got a baby but I would suggest maybe getting a juvenile. I leave it there during normal weekends and pop in on Saturday’s and spend time with him while I get caught up on grading and lesson plans. During extended breaks I will have a student take him home. The tank the students will take him home in is also the one we use when feeding so he is familiar with it.

Latest posts