• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ceramic Heat Emitter Question

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone! I finally bought a CHE for my beardie after having the infrared light. It said to get a 60W for a 30-40g tank. I noticed since I've replaced the infrared light with the CHE the heat in the tank has gown DOWN. Now, another thing is that the lady there sold me something that is called a Porcelain wire light which she said you can only use CHE in. I had an extra dome laying around, but we opened the instructions of the light, and it said to only use with these specific types of fixtures. So in the end it ended up costing me 70 bucks. My question is, is it true that it only has to be in this special fixture or can I put it in a regular dome? And, why is it that the heat is now getting lower with the CHE than with the infrared light? I am thinking it has to do with this wire fixture she sold me, but it does say to use it together so I am just very confused! I really don't know much about CHE so if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!!! Thanks!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A CHE should be in a porcelain or ceramic socket rated for the equivalent or higher than the bulb being used. Many domes do have this.

What are you using the CHE for? Just like any different type of bulb, you have to have a CHE of sufficient Wattage to provide the amount of heat desired for the purpose it is being used for.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I am using the CHE to boost up the temperature in the tank during the day because I can only get it to about 97 degrees and when I used the infrared light, I got it back up to about 103. I am thrilled to know that I don't have to use that special light wire that woman sold me, it didn't make much sense to me. Thank you so much for letting me know this information!!! I am going to return the wire light tonight!!!! You rock Germ!!:)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@BeardieBaby...guess I am confused at why you would be using a CHE in the Summer months at all and why you are unable to get sufficent heat in a 30 or 40 gal tank enclosure with your basking light alone.
For instance with our Mungi who is in a 40gal breeder tank at present I am using a single 60watt GE halogen bulb in a mini deep dome fixture for his basking light/heat source along with an 18" tube ReptiSun UV light....on the opposite side of his enclosure I have a 10 watt florescent bulb just for ambient light because we run the live webcam on him during the day.
With this setup his basking spot temp is a very consistent 102-107 degrees and his cool side stays a consistent 82 degrees during the day.
At night all lights go out and his enclisure stays a comfortable 72-74 degrees which is equal to the temp range we keep our whole house both day and night.
Unless you keep your home like a freezer Im.just not seeing the need for the CHE.
I will say that we do keep a CHE on standby in the wintertime just in case our heat were to.go out but have rarely had to use it.
Again perhaps I am.missing something here as far as your setup but really think that I would increase the basking light wattage and adjust your basking area up or down until you can get your temps right instead of using the CHE...I think in the long run it will save you some money and let you get the proper temp gradient you need to have for your dragon much easier. I dont see also.how you can have a gradient using both in that size enclosure.
As far as the type of fixture you can use for CHEs I use the same type mini deep dome as I use for basking lights when I do use them...the porcelian socket rated for enough watts to cover your bulbs watts is all you need to be concerned with as Germ stated...some of the cheaper domes have plastic sockets which will melt with the heat put off by the basking lamps and CHEs.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Many times manufacturers will recommend that you use a certain product in combination with another product that they also manufacture; thereby misleading the consumer into thinking that that is the only way to use that certain product.

Example: I use Kordon's AmQuel Plus to neutralize ammonia in my fish tanks. Kordon recommends that it should be used in combination with NovAqua Plus, which they also manufacture, to dechlorinate and remove toxic metals from tap water. However, there are other manufacturers that put out other dechlorinators and water conditioners that work just as well alone or in combination with AmQuel Plus.

This is why this forum is good, the only interest here is the well being of our little friends, the BDs, and even other pets.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@ChrisB...agreed;) Thats the reason after a lot of searching we settled in here at BDF...it's a straight forward forum where real answers are found and always folks around that truly do care and are ready to offer solid advice.

It's also the reason that I expressed my confusion as to the need for the CHE in this situation. Believe me when I tell you that I have spend literally hundreds of dollars needlessly over the years I have been dealing with reptiles and other critters...there are so many thongs that are sold in the market and especially when new to the world of a particular creature it is easy to waste money that can be better spend on items not necessary or worse that might be harmful to your bet.
There may be reasons why in this case a CHE is necessary but instead of forking out 30 + bucks on a CHE it may be a lot easier, more efficient and cost worthy to simply go another route...such as a different basking bulb.
Anyway you are correct...we all truly care...and we all have experiences to pass along...and those perhaps will help another...the BDF is definitely the place to be;)

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Pat B

Super Moderator
I am confused about the CHE. I am going to have to get one this winter as I keep my house at 62 in the day and 58 at night. Are there different wattages of CHE? I have a 40 gallon tank. Do I use it all the time? Is the CHE a supplement to the basking light? Do I use it only at night because the basking light is on 7 am - 7 pm? :rolleyes:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@PatB....yes the CHEs come.in different wattages like the basking bulbs do...you can put them.in.a.Mini Deep Dome fixture that has the porcelian or ceramic socket rated the same or higher than the CHE you get. That will help direct the heat down into your enclosure...dont let them.sell you the open wire type Dome because all of your heat will just go out in your room and not into the enclosure. We have 100 watt CHEs that we keep.on.standby but we keep.our.house a little.warmer than you do. I.also have homemade adjustable.frames over my tank enclosures that my dome.fixtures suspend from and it allows me.to lower.or raise lights and the CHEs as needed to maintain proper temps. You have to be careful with the CHEs cause they do.put out some.serious heat and it will take you some.experimentation to.get them the right distance from.the top to give you the right temps you want.
Personally if they are used in ours it is only at night. To maintain proper temps during the day in winter I.prefer to just use a higher wattage basking bulb...no need to run both.
Kinda like having winter tires and summer tires.for.your car...lol. I.know they sell all season tires too but in my experience I havent found the perfect all season heat/light combo...soon as summer comes our CHEs get put up and.basking bulb wattages get lowered.
Hope.that helps clear things up a.little at least;)
Enjoy your Friday!!

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)