• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Centipedes!? In my bioactive set up :(

Bubbles_2384

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
My bearded dragon's name is Elliot. He's a 3-year-old het-hypo leatherback.
I've discovered a few small centipedes in his enclosure. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this problem, knows how to get rid of them, or knows the most likely cause of their introduction to Elliot's enclosure.
As it's a bioactive enclosure, it has years' worth of isopod, springtail, mealworm, and darkling Beatle colonies which I would understandably not want to sacrifice unless necessary.

Thanks,
Elliot and Concerned Guardian

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.22.28 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.22.28 am.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 51

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sift through it, those types of centipedes need to go, they should be in only the top layer of soil, unfortunately ur gonna disrupt all your spring tails and ispods :/ the centipedes are eating ur isopods for shure and idk how big they get but they’re bite is narly,

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Other than them eating ur ispods , they’re skittish so unless the beardie tried eating it at night time it’s unlikely they’d meet. Unless you have tons of them, it might be beneficial to keep one or two, if ur bioactives going on years, they’ve definitely been doing something.

Bubbles_2384

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks @Skybug
Elliot is getting an upgrade in the next week or so. I'll sift through the substrate as it goes into the new enclosure.
How should I go about preventing them in the future? I can't think of any reasonable explanation on how they got there in the first place...

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks @Skybug
Elliot is getting an upgrade in the next week or so. I'll sift through the substrate as it goes into the new enclosure.
How should I go about preventing them in the future? I can't think of any reasonable explanation on how they got there in the first place...
If ur going bioactive its kinda a toss up, somehow i have pincher bugs and some type of “dermested?” Beetle in my bioactive , i only bought spring tails for my bioactive and added super worms meal worms, and a couple nontoxic millipedes into my setup, id sift through it see how many you find , and if theres younglings then theres eggs too. And you dont want them id sift through all the dirt get as many of the good bugs as you can from it and start new :/

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Wear gloves, the centipedes will for shure bite, and stab with they’re two long back tail/legs. Goodluck

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Heres a wiki all about Centipedes, did u find anymore or was it just the one? If u find another and get a non blurry pic i can help identify it and see if they’re a problem or not.