• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Canned Greens okay for beardies?

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

My mom's been concerned with how much money I've been spending on the lizards. Well seeing as nothing else is too major in my life right now, that's like telling me I'm spoiling my kids too much. So what if I am right? I can't help it, they are like my kids. Anyways, I was wondering, as was my mom, about whether it's safe to feed them greens from cans.

I mean things like turnip greens, and collard greens straight from the cans? I was worried due to any additives that may be in the cans. That's why I haven't tried it out. I get the fresh bundles at Walmart every week or every other week depending on how long the food lasts. My mom asked due to the fact that canned goods are apparently cheaper than the bundles. I know on the chart it says some canned goods are acceptable, but I wondered if anyone fed them the greens from the cans or not?

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO never
your 26 years old and worrying about $2 worth of fresh greens? that lasts 2 weeks im sorry but im missing information here

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DedThreadTed.jpg

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I never tried the canned goods. I love spoiling my lizards. So Jethro gets fresh veggies instead of canned ones. I didn't feel that was the best solution at all. I mainly asked out of curiousity and my mother's concern. The last time we measured him, a week ago, he was a little over 15" long head to tail. He was just barely 6" inches long when we first brought him home from PetCo back in August. He's a happy and healthy bearded dragon. My vet said I was doing a great job with the lizards. He had two leopard geckos of his own that lived for 17 years. And a bearded dragon too. Not sure how long the beardie has lived. But he has plenty experience and in my area, is the only known herp vet :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't feed my beardies canned greens. Fresh veggies are the healthiest for your dragon.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea that
's what I've been doing. I just didn't know if other bearded dragon owners did that or not. He gets fresh veggies every day. Spoiled lil ham. :D

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yah canned greens/veggies/fruits r a no no! believe i read somewhere something in the metal of the can isn't good 4 ur beardie, not 2 meantion they're not fresh & have additives as well. good thing u asked instead of experimenting tho lol!