• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can you feed insects on only the weekends?

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
From a lot of researching and looking at different forums, the general recommendation for adults seems to be around 10 larger insects(or smaller equivalent) x2 a week and a salad daily.

Now, here’s the issue- in a year I’m going off to a school where I’ll live at the school on weekdays and be home on weekends. I can’t take the beardie with me, I’ve already checked. My parents are uncomfortable feeding insects, could the beardie eat salads Monday-Sunday and insects Saturday-Sunday? Or do the insect feedings need to be more spread out over the week?

TLDR: Would feeding salads every day and insects on the weekend be a healthy diet for a bearded dragon?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Its fine if hes just getting bugs when ur around, but his salads need to be of good quality, spritzed leafy greens, maybe a small amount of fruit, a little sprinkle of calcium on it, i put bee pollen on salads for my girl, why dont they like giving him bugs?

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Its fine if hes just getting bugs when ur around, but his salads need to be of good quality, spritzed leafy greens, maybe a small amount of fruit, a little sprinkle of calcium on it, i put bee pollen on salads for my girl, why dont they like giving him bugs?
Oh yeah I’ll tell them what kinds of vegetables and salad they should feed and what supplements etc they should add, I’ll probably do the shopping for his greens too to make sure he gets proper food when I’m away.

They’re just iffy about insects, my mom finds all of them disgusting but I might be able to convince my dad to give him dubias.

Thanks!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yeah I’ll tell them what kinds of vegetables and salad they should feed and what supplements etc they should add, I’ll probably do the shopping for his greens too to make sure he gets proper food when I’m away.

They’re just iffy about insects, my mom finds all of them disgusting but I might be able to convince my dad to give him dubias.

Thanks!
If you can get some other bugs and some tongs and an escape proof dish, im shure ud win ur dad over atleast, I recommend putting bsfl on his salads, and getting super/mealworms , no one whose not in the lizard community wants to feed dubias, they hear roach and instantly think “nasty home infestation” when in reality they’re actually pretty clean.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
From a lot of researching and looking at different forums, the general recommendation for adults seems to be around 10 larger insects(or smaller equivalent) x2 a week and a salad daily.

Now, here’s the issue- in a year I’m going off to a school where I’ll live at the school on weekdays and be home on weekends. I can’t take the beardie with me, I’ve already checked. My parents are uncomfortable feeding insects, could the beardie eat salads Monday-Sunday and insects Saturday-Sunday? Or do the insect feedings need to be more spread out over the week?

TLDR: Would feeding salads every day and insects on the weekend be a healthy diet for a bearded dragon?
How old is your bearded dragon now?

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
How old is your bearded dragon now?
8 months, so he’ll be 20 months when I go to the school.

My dad has agreed to feed dubias once a week though, so he’ll feed him dubias Wednesday and I’ll feed him crickets and/or locusts Saturday. Salads will be given every day.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
8 months, so he’ll be 20 months when I go to the school.

My dad has agreed to feed dubias once a week though, so he’ll feed him dubias Wednesday and I’ll feed him crickets and/or locusts Saturday. Salads will be given every day.
That should be perfect. Don't forget that he'll still need calcium/D3 two-three times per week.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
A lot of people are going to hate on me for this butttt.....

My guy hasn't eaten salads in six months. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get him to eat it, he's simply just an old man who prefers the treats rather than the vegetables lol. He seems to be doing completely fine, but I always make sure he is hydrated since he doesn't get hydration from the greens. He eats bugs every 2-3 days and around 10-15 of them. No health issues.

Of course, if you can get him to eat salads rather than just bugs, that is absolutely the best way to go about it. I would never just recommend someone to only feed their bearded dragon's bugs only. This is personally just what my guy prefers.