• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I feed my bearded dragon romaine lettuce?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I know lettuce is basically just water but a long with all the essential greens and veggies, can I feed my dragon romaine lettuce to help him stay hydrated during these warm days? If I can it would be cool to mix collard greens and squash with romaine lettuce just to help keep him hydrated. I would still give him baths but would it be a good idea?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn’t give too much romaine. It does hydrate but doesn’t offer much of anything else. Remember that they have very good kidneys that can extract water out of the smallest things, enough to keep hydrated.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know lettuce is basically just water but a long with all the essential greens and veggies, can I feed my dragon romaine lettuce to help him stay hydrated during these warm days? If I can it would be cool to mix collard greens and squash with romaine lettuce just to help keep him hydrated. I would still give him baths but would it be a good idea?
If your looking for more hydration you can give a few hornworms just don't give too many or you will have runny poop.. and like patsy just said romaine is worthless for them and they squeeze all moisture from the foods they eat before pooping it out.
you can also give them nice juicy dubia roaches.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I wouldn’t give too much romaine. It does hydrate but doesn’t offer much of anything else. Remember that they have very good kidneys that can extract water out of the smallest things, enough to keep hydrated.
So just stick with greens and veggies?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
If your looking for more hydration you can give a few hornworms just don't give too many or you will have runny poop.. and like patsy just said romaine is worthless for them and they squeeze all moisture from the foods they eat before pooping it out.
you can also give them nice juicy dubia roaches.
Alright then. What if his poop is already runny?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
How old is he? what do you feed him? have you had his poop tested for parasites?
I’m honestly not sure how old he is. I didn’t get him as a baby. He’s big but he’s not fully grown. I feed him carrots and switch between collard and mustard greens. And then I feed him crickets and Dubia roaches when I’m able to buy some

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m honestly not sure how old he is. I didn’t get him as a baby. He’s big but he’s not fully grown. I feed him carrots and switch between collard and mustard greens. And then I feed him crickets and Dubia roaches when I’m able to buy some
That's ok if you don't know his age.. Take a look at this link it will help you with all the different foods that are good, carrots are high in Vit A and can cause Vit A toxicity issues. I would switch to any of the squash family like butternut is a favorite, yellow, acorn etc and of course the staple greens that are a daily feed..
I would also find an exotic vet that deals with dragons and get a fecal done to rule out parasites causing the runny poop

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would just stick with greens and veggies. If he’s eating those, he’s most likely staying hydrated. You can also offer him drops of water on the tip of his nose or you can get him to drink in his bath. Get a decal done to check for parasites.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
That's ok if you don't know his age.. Take a look at this link it will help you with all the different foods that are good, carrots are high in Vit A and can cause Vit A toxicity issues. I would switch to any of the squash family like butternut is a favorite, yellow, acorn etc and of course the staple greens that are a daily feed..
I would also find an exotic vet that deals with dragons and get a fecal done to rule out parasites causing the runny poop
Yeah I’ve read about what carrots can do. Do I just feed him squash the way it is or do I have to do anything to it before feeding him?
I’ve owned a baby bearded dragon before for a month or so and he was having health issues so I took him to the nearest reptile vet and they did stuff to him and ever since the vet visit he wasn’t the same and was worse. He was way more lethargic and dark the whole time up until his death so I don’t really trust that vet and I don’t know of any other vets around my area

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I’ve read about what carrots can do. Do I just feed him squash the way it is or do I have to do anything to it before feeding him?
I’ve owned a baby bearded dragon before for a month or so and he was having health issues so I took him to the nearest reptile vet and they did stuff to him and ever since the vet visit he wasn’t the same and was worse. He was way more lethargic and dark the whole time up until his death so I don’t really trust that vet and I don’t know of any other vets around my area
All I do is I cute up their collards/turnip greens (or whatever greens) then I cut up Yellow squash, zuc and butternut squash into small cubes (I don't cook any of their veggies) some people grate their butternut or acorn and some cook them but you really don't need to.
I know when I was looking for exotic vets I did a google search..you can also contact rescues or shelters and often they will know of resources..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How the heck do you keep the squash fresh haha. I was even close to half of squash and I don’t want it to go bad and I want to make it last. What should I do?
I like butternut squash as it's a harder veg and I cut off some slices then I put a baggie on the cut end and put a rubberband on it and put it flat side down in the back of the fridge.. yellow/summer and zuc well I feed chunks to my dubia roaches too as you want to gutload the feeders so I go thru them pretty quickly... I slice up some into little cubes and put a baggie on them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How the heck do you keep the squash fresh haha. I was even close to half of squash and I don’t want it to go bad and I want to make it last. What should I do?

I put it in a plastic bag with a paper towel in with it and change the papertowel out every few days. It helps to absorb some of the extra moisture.

I do end up throwing some away and also giving some to the feeder bugs.