• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can’t eat veggies

Arizona

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey everyone, first post here. I have a 2 year old beardie named Arizona who I recently adopted. The previous owners didn’t feed her a proper diet (no veggies). When I put vegetables in her enclosure she gets excited and runs over but can’t seem to figure out how to eat them. She will strike at them aggressively with her tongue ( the way she catches live insects) but when no veggies get into her mouth she quickly gets irritated, loses interest, and won’t go back to the veggies. This has been going on for weeks and I haven’t been able to get her to successful eat more than one leaf and a bite of squash. Has anyone experienced this? Please help.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
try chopping the vegetables in very small pieces or if possible see if she will let you hand feed them. try shredded carrots those are easy for them to eat.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Another thing I might suggest is using tongs and waving veggies around in her face with those. Should be easier for her to eat

Arizona

Bearded Dragon Egg
try chopping the vegetables in very small pieces or if possible see if she will let you hand feed them. try shredded carrots those are easy for them to eat.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried hand feeding, she’s definitely more receptive to it, I have only gotten her to eat acorn squash, shaved carrots, and bell peppers. But she will only eat 2 maybe 3 bites of it and be done. She won’t eat anything green, even if I wiggle it in her face. She’ll eat live bugs all day tho. How much vegetation is vital for her to be healthy.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the reply. I have tried hand feeding, she’s definitely more receptive to it, I have only gotten her to eat acorn squash, shaved carrots, and bell peppers. But she will only eat 2 maybe 3 bites of it and be done. She won’t eat anything green, even if I wiggle it in her face. She’ll eat live bugs all day tho. How much vegetation is vital for her to be healthy.
A baby dragon’s diet should consist of about 80% insects, 20% fruits and veggies. Once they grow older, they should mostly eat fruits and veggies while including bugs 3-4 times a week

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Try putting some live bugs in with her salad. Sometimes I put worms in with mine, like Hornworms cause they'll usually stay put for a bit, eating the salad.

Valerie Vitticeps

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's a lot of work! My Fiona is quite wiley with her food. I have to tear mustard, collard & turnip greens into thumbnail size peices. Then I place a wax worm between two peices with its head sticking out like a sandwich.

terri woodrow

Bearded Dragon Egg
..................... I adopted my beardie a year ago..... thank goodness for forums.... i recently started giving her berries along with her greens.... SHE LOVES Blueberries and Blackberries!..... i dont feed her from my hand cause she missed once.... my fingernail has finally grown out lol......try the berries!