• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rushmore Reptiles

Hatchling Dragon
hi, I have a 4’x2’x2’ enclosure and a basking platform that is about a 10 inches tall. What wattage of bulb should I use?

Attachments

• BFD06200-9A90-41D0-B641-C3B8B3919E65.jpeg
    BFD06200-9A90-41D0-B641-C3B8B3919E65.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You’ll have to play around with different wattages, what works for one may not work for another. Some people even use lights that can be dimmed to keep it at the right temp. Is your light in the tank or on top of the tank? How old is your dragon?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like Patsy said it really will depend on your household temp, where in your house the tank is at, airflow and I've even noticed that it can vary depending on what kind of fixture your using.. I think we all have a shelf of various wattages of bulbs for different seasons, and even for our beardies "mood" even.. for example when my female was alive sometimes she liked it warmer like 107F (as an adult) sometimes she wanted it 100F and then other times she wanted 95F ..
So you really will have to play around with it..Wish there was a easy answer but there really isn't.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The room temperature where the tank is 68f and my beardie will be about 7 weeks. I don’t have him yet
Being that your room temp is 68F and your dragon will be 7 weeks you may need more than the 50 watts to keep the temp up around 107F.. In my opinion I would start with the 50 watt and let it get up to temp in an hour or so check the temp in the basking spot..and if it's not in range move up to 75watt and so on until you get what you want in the hot, middle and cool sides.