• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brummation

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well Izzy has been super sleepy all of Dec. Being that she is 9 months ish really not sure but that's close, I've been able to put some nice fat reserves on her this month by putting her up in her basking spot each morning. She stays awake when I do this and acts normal, but I also know that if she's going to brumate nothing I can do will stop it.. She weighs a good 251grams and is nice and hydrated, she has nice fat pads...She weighed 201gr beginning of Dec and with that nice gain I feel she is in good health to brumate even though she is still on the young side.

Sooo once she empties her belly in tomorrow's bath as she ate really good today :) I will make sure she's all dry and let her decide to come out of her hide or rest :) Although I will miss seeing my girl I'm right here if she starts to loose weight or I think she's not doing well I can attend to her.. But I feel that she is in a good place to do what comes natural for her afterall it's hard wired for them to brumate. sigh...I know I'm just being nervous over her first time brummating..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's why I wanted another dragon.....I was scared Dexter was going to go to sleep and I would miss her too much. Turns out it doesn't matter how many you have, you are always going to miss the one that goes to sleep :(

Sounds like you have her in a good spot, she should be fine. Maybe she will be like Luci, he comes out in the morning to see what's going on and then he goes back to in his hide for the rest of the day.

Stacy07

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using as a hide for your older bigger dragons? I have a cave for my little guy that he loves but I need one for my big guy he is 19" tip of nose to tip of tail and weighs 471g.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's kinda how I'm feeling I didn't want her to go to sleep when she started getting slow I didn't think she was plump enough to safely sleep. So I started a record of her weight, how much she ate, if she pooped or not that kind of stuff. I wanted to see if I could put weight on her but I also wanted to see if she has a pattern down the line for future brummations.

I will keep a record of how she is doing during her brumation for future as well I want to see if she has a pattern or not. It's interesting that she has a routine, she LOVES coming out during the evening time to be on my chest she stares at me until I bring her out then bam out cold on my chest. lol such funny critters..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are you using as a hide for your older bigger dragons? I have a cave for my little guy that he loves but I need one for my big guy he is 19" tip of nose to tip of tail and weighs 471g.
Izzy loves her half log and a bushy plant that is in front of the hole.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

My boy is about 18 inches and 500 something grams :oops: I bought him a real cute ferret house from Petsmart, It's green and it has a little picket fence with flowers around it. He LOVES it! He is always in it and even climbs up on top of it. You'd be surprised what they can fit in. Before I bought this he has a fake resin rock that had a hole in it and he would wedge his body in it and curl up and go to sleep.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter is in her half log right now. It's so funny to see a big dragon fit itself underneath it LOL!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so here is Izzy's new Brummation suite :)

20160101_092140_zpsjbdrkaay.jpg

20160101_093537_zpstvp4uks3.jpg

Stacy07

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is amazing! I love it I am going shopping today! I love the background. My little guy Oliver has the foam background in his tank and he scratches it and makes a mess he's always covered in foam everyday from scratching on it! Is that a hanging bird bed thing?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is amazing! I love it I am going shopping today! I love the background. My little guy Oliver has the foam background in his tank and he scratches it and makes a mess he's always covered in foam everyday from scratching on it! Is that a hanging bird bed thing?
lol I try to make things simple on myself :) The background is from Petco. that is actually off 1 of our cat posts it's a hammock deal that they never use soooooo I re-purposed it :) She likes fleece to cuddle in and this is super soft

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The cool thing about it is I can also make it into a big fluffy hammock by hooking it to the other side during the day :) when she's not sleeping.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There tweaked it a bit as I think she will better use it as a hammock as she really loves sleeping under her logs...so there you go girl enjoy your new digs....
20160101_175806_zps9wl9qfvv.jpg

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
This is Hefs first time too. I didn't know to weigh him before but he looks the same. He comes out every other day or so. It's been all of November and December for Hef. Next year I'll get a fecal done in October . If they don't have parasites they should stay healthy and hydrated. It's good you got her weight. I wish my chameleon Seymore would brumate instead. Lol. They're fine and from what I gather well get through it too. Lol. Supersucks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I wanted to see if I could get a idea on what may be normal for her weight wise/brummation.. As I type this I see she's under her hide staring at me lol she will need to come out today and take a bath as she ate 6 dubia yesterday :) silly dragon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She had a big poop then I put her back in her hide but she soon came out ate a bunch of greens basked went back ate some more greens and a roach hung out under her hide a bit now she's back out on her basking log lol Like I've said before I really don't think she knows what she want's to do lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wish they would just make up their minds! Luci is now running around the house where yesterday he didn't want to do anything. He hasn't wanted to eat much either so I'm getting small poops from him and it's freaking me out! I tried to give him supers the other day and he didn't want them. Yesterday I got him to eat 5 of them.

The only good thing about brumation this time of year is that my grocery store is showing me it's officially winter. The only staple I could find today was mustards. I had to improvise. I got baby arugula and pea shoots and gave them some of my kale that I bought to make smoothies.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol funny dragons they are!! Yesterday Izzy really didn't do much guess she made up for it today :) I'm kinda glad her eating has slowed down to give my roach colony time to have the gobs of babies to get bigger. She used to eat a bunch of babies but lately she goes for the small to med juv's with an adult here and there.. She's eating more of her greens than before too which is great that makes me happy... The funny thing is what WE do in order to feed them!! I know here in town (5 min) I can get collard, kale, sometimes cactus pad/fruit...If I want more of a variety I got to drive 30 min away to get mustard, dandelion, turnip greens and a few others.. :) in total I go to 4 different stores to get her greens... sigh...
Lucky Dragons

Latest posts