• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumiation help

candice_elizabethe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Over a month ago, I purchased a juvenile bearded dragon from the Petco in my local area. When I brought him/her home.(I don’t know the gender), I also purchased a very expensive reptile habitat for him/her. They told me they were feeding this Beardy, a diet of small crickets and mealworms. He/she ate very well for several days. Then, it underwent a shedding process. For the past couple of weeks now, though, he/she is very active and seems to sleep quite a bit. As I was researching on the Internet, I believe that it is going through what is called brumiation. I make sure that Iggy… That is what I’ve chosen to call this bearded dragon has access to freshwater that is filtered, fresh, mealworms, daily, and a few small, crickets. Iggy does not want to eat right now, and seems to sleep most of the day away. This is my first time owning a bearded dragon. I want to do what is best for Iggy, and I would like some information on what I should, or should not do with Iggy while it is going through this process. I also want to know how can I confirm that Iggy is going through bromination . Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, because I respect all living things.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Over a month ago, I purchased a juvenile bearded dragon from the Petco in my local area. When I brought him/her home.(I don’t know the gender), I also purchased a very expensive reptile habitat for him/her. They told me they were feeding this Beardy, a diet of small crickets and mealworms. He/she ate very well for several days. Then, it underwent a shedding process. For the past couple of weeks now, though, he/she is very active and seems to sleep quite a bit. As I was researching on the Internet, I believe that it is going through what is called brumiation. I make sure that Iggy… That is what I’ve chosen to call this bearded dragon has access to freshwater that is filtered, fresh, mealworms, daily, and a few small, crickets. Iggy does not want to eat right now, and seems to sleep most of the day away. This is my first time owning a bearded dragon. I want to do what is best for Iggy, and I would like some information on what I should, or should not do with Iggy while it is going through this process. I also want to know how can I confirm that Iggy is going through bromination . Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, because I respect all living things.
We need to go over your uvb your using a coil or a long tube fixture surface basking temps-- what are they and how are you taking them ? No stick ons - these will simulate brumation behavior

candice_elizabethe

Bearded Dragon Egg
We need to go over your uvb your using a coil or a long tube fixture surface basking temps-- what are they and how are you taking them ? No stick ons - these will simulate brumation behavior
I use the hanging uvb and basking bulbs that came with my zoomed reptile enclosure. The temp inside is at 90 on the warm side, and 75 on the cool side.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use the hanging uvb and basking bulbs that came with my zoomed reptile enclosure. The temp inside is at 90 on the warm side, and 75 on the cool side.
hanging uvb? is this a MVB if so what brand? juvenile dragon? How old - if he is under one year he is too young to be brumating-- only unless he is weighing in over 300 grams - most dragons are not that weight until at least a year old--- my guess its your lighting and temps --- cool side of the tank should 80ish --- middle of tank 90's and surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old and older dragon - those need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- you also need a long tube fixture for a UVB -- if your using a MVB it is good to have another UVB as the MVB's do not emit enough UVB -- they are good for heat but not so much UVB and the farther away from the basking decor the less UVB they are getting--- I can help you w/ good UVB's -- there are 3 that are recommended -- please get your temps straightened out - stick ons are ok for ambient temps but you really need a digital probe thermometer 2 of them --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hanging uvb? is this a MVB if so what brand? juvenile dragon? How old - if he is under one year he is too young to be brumating-- only unless he is weighing in over 300 grams - most dragons are not that weight until at least a year old--- my guess its your lighting and temps --- cool side of the tank should 80ish --- middle of tank 90's and surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old and older dragon - those need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- you also need a long tube fixture for a UVB -- if your using a MVB it is good to have another UVB as the MVB's do not emit enough UVB -- they are good for heat but not so much UVB and the farther away from the basking decor the less UVB they are getting--- I can help you w/ good UVB's -- there are 3 that are recommended -- please get your temps straightened out - stick ons are ok for ambient temps but you really need a digital probe thermometer 2 of them --
Update on the dragon please