• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Questions

DinoDavis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a male bearded dragon going thru his first brumation. He is a yr old and was very sick when I got him. My daughter bought him at Petco who never explained how to care for him properly. She didnt know to put calcium and Vitamins on or in his food. So he had early stages of MBD. Which he over came and is fat happy and healthy. Im the one stressing out about the right and wrong things to do during the brumation cycle. So once I slowly took his Uv & basking lights away do I just keep in total darkness and in a quiet room and let him do his thing? I know to check on him once a day. And still offer him a lite veggie only diet. And I can only bother him for his baths 1 or twice a week. I did hear that Im suppose to take him to a exotic reptile vet to have his poo checked (for parrasites) first to approve the brumation. But what if I dont have a reptile vet near me?? So thank you for ur advice and I appreciate all ur help!

DinoDavis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so first put all his lights back in there --- next keep them on at normal times that he is used to usually on for 12 hrs off for 12 hrs --- and if hes sleeping at the evening time its not going to hurt to turn them off at a earlier time --- next keep a weight on him - weigh him on a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams -- please tell me how old he is and what his weight and how long he is now ---- he should be sustaining his weight it is not uncommon for them to lose some weight a few grams ---- also I would be getting him out once a week to every 10 days if he doesnt come out on his own --- give him a bath or offer water or drop water on his nose to see if he will drink - you dont want him dehydrated ------------------ if he comes out to bask offer him food - you can set his greens in there offering food to see if he will eat -- he does not need to go into a vet to be approved for brumation but it is good to get them into a vet for a check up prior to brumation - you want them at a good weight before they go in to brumation - if his stools are runny and stink so bad they are driving you from the room then it is good to have that fecal tested for parasites -- healthy poop looks will be formed moist and dark --- urate will be formed moist and white -- here is a link to find a vet in your area --- www.arav.org --- look to see if there is a reputable vet in your area --- if not you can call vets and ask if that vet sees reptiles and how long they have been seeing reptiles
So I ordered a heat gun and a gram scale. He is about 13 months now. He was kinda fat before this started. He still looks really healthy just a lil smaller. His las poop looked pretty good just smaller than normal cause he eats less. My lights I bought the more expensive one that it includes both the basking and uvb. Then the red night time light goes on at bed time. I do try and take him out 1-2 time a week for the baths and I do try to drip the water on his nose. He is a very dark almost black color is that normal?