1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!
  1. travis ward

travis ward Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello,

My dragon believe to be a male dragon has not been eating very well and has been sleeping a lot during the day. I believe he is too young to be brumating, but all the symptoms he shows makes me believe he is.

I'm not sure on his age but I got him October 26th and he was about 20 cm ( 7,8 inches ) head to tail. Now he is only 22 cm ( 8.6 inches ). Like I said he barely eats, specially veggies and fruits. Most he has eaten in one day was maybe 10 small crickets in a day. What I sometimes do when he eats a cricket or meal worm is just adding some greens in his mouth while he is still chewing. No problems with his stool as far as I can tell.

I just ordered a colony of dubia roaches so going to stop feeding him crickets since they always escape on me some how. Meal worms I already have a small breeding colony off and will probably continue to give these to him as treats.

I did read some other threads on here that his lighting might have something to do with this. So I will more then likely order a new light and possible a new heat source very soon.

His basking area is right around 40 C ( 104 F ) cool side of his tank on the opposite side is 27C ( 80 F ) these temps where taking with a infra red gun. Also have some small analog temp gauges in his tank.
    At night tank stays between the 18-20 C ( 64-68 F )
    Humidity is always just above 30%, no water source in his tank.

Maybe should mention he has only shed once since I have had him but he hasn't grown a whole lot so maybe that is why.

Here is his tank, it is about 95 gallons. 120x60x(55 at the widest part and 45 at the narrowest part)
    Tank was made using foam and lots of plaster with a water based clear coat on top of it. He is always on the left side of his tank. But sleeps all over the place. That little grey stair case thing he likes to get under and tries to dig.
    ( I turned his UV off so I would not get as much glare.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

This is where he normally sleeps even during the day.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

These are the lights I got, if I need something better let me know I can order it ASAP. Only thing is since this actually an aquarium it is kind of hard to mount a T5 or T8 so I went the easier route with a bulbs. But I can figure something out if needed.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope I can have a more active and healthy dragon
  2. travis ward

3. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

Its the lighting and I cant help you w/ the ALL in ONE you have --------- your dragon is not eating and basking like he should --- you haft to get this lighting straightened out NOW--- please go to this website and post this post and PICS www.beardeddragon.org -------------- people on here are going to be able to help you there I am guessing the ALL in ONE w/ the lower wattage needs to be higher but I am just guessing please do this NOW -- your baby is not going to be able to digest his food and he needs proper UVB ---------- he wont live long w/ out it - he will continue to decline and Oct is too long for this to be going on
  4. travis ward

Thank you, will head to that website right away
  5. travis ward

Just to update this, I did order a 36 inch reptisun 10 t5 light and the zoo med reflector that goes with it.
    Just need to figure out the correct wattage to replace that basking light with.
  6. kaylynangel

Sounds great I hope you did not order same length as tank--- it's going to be trial and error w/ basking bulb--- start w/ 100 watt make sure you have a temp gun or digital probe so you can get accurate basking temps and go from there
  7. kaylynangel

I am hoping Brandon or ahbd respond on the other forum - I can help you w/ the separate bulbs--- what bulb did you order the T 8 or the T 5? And when are you getting it? You have gotten one of the best on the market-- the T 5 can go on top of screen as long as the screen is wide holed- 6-8 inches from basking--- if it's fine mesh screen it needs to go inside 12-15 inches from basking spot-- if you need ideas on how to hang I can give you ideas-
  8. kaylynangel

I see kok answered your questions on the other forum -- he always gives such long explanations I cant under stand him --- and his diagrams forget that -- so w/ that being said trial and error w/ the basking bulb --- once this is all straightened out he should start eating like a champ -- what is he doing now? has been eating ?
  9. travis ward

Length should be fine its 100 cm and tank is 120 cm. Should work out perfect because the support beams in the top of the tank where it will attach to some how, will see how I will figure that out. Is about 11 inches sway from his basking spot and about 15 inches away from his brance that is on the right side of the tank. So hopefully that is fine for that T5 reptisun light. I ordered it from the German Amazon. I live in Belgium and we have like no good reptile stores around. Even the "bearded dragon expert" in Antwerp barely sells anything if he is even open.

So today I offered him pear for the first time and at the size of like one cricket. First time he ate a fruit or veggie by him self. But other then that didnt eat anything.

My dubia roaches should arrive tomorrow or wednesday so hopefully that is something new for him and is interested in it. I will keep you updated on this.
  10. kaylynangel

With the correct basking temps and the UVB he should do a complete turn around-- like in a day or so -- the UVB will help like you wont beleive--please keep me posted -- his poop should be moist firm and dark and the urate firm moist and white --- that is good healthy poop -- did I send you a website for nutrition?
  11. travis ward

I think I have it from another thread on here thank you though!
    Beertruck likes this.
  12. travis ward

Just a small update

The light did not arrive yet, but I put him under the UVB bulb I have now and he sat there for 1.5 hours instead of just running away in his cave and sleeping. Then today he was back at that same spot. He also finally ate 3 dubia roaches and 1 meal worm, and then he climbed to his basking spot. That is the first time he has done that since I have had him.

So I guess even though its not the right bulb it did help him a little bit and is a little more active plus he ate can't wait for the T5 to arrive.
  13. kaylynangel

ok well when the T 5 comes if you need help getting it set up please ask - remember on top of screen basking spot needs to be 6-8 inches no cover on fixture if your putting inside the tank basking spot 12-15 inches from basking spot and again no cover on the bulb -- you can hang the fixture w/ plastic zip ties---3M velcro fastners --- shoes strings -- fishing line --- picture wire hangers--- just make sure you hang from each end of fixture
  14. travis ward

I asked this question on the other forum but he just gave me more scientific data haha. Is it ok if the light is closer then what is that recommended distance? so lets say like 9 inches away in the basking spot?

If so its going to be super easy to install and it will be close enough on the otherside of the tank where that branch is laying down
  15. kaylynangel

Yep that is kingofknobbys ----- he does that w/ all his post and its so annoying -- it would be better if he would put it in english language instead of scientific language ---------------- I am going to PM Brandon and see what he says about that Solor Glo 80 watt - he will give me a direct answer ---
  16. travis ward

ok thanks, was wondering on the T5 though if it can be 8-9 inches away. its the 36inch reptisun 10.0
  17. kaylynangel

8-9 inches on top of screen or inside the tank ? and its not the same length if tank is it? Sorry I can remember every bodys tank size
  18. travis ward

tank342.jpg

so you see that glass support piece at the top. If I attach the light fixure to the bottom of that I wont have any glass blocking UVB rays but the bottom of the fixture would be roughly 8-9 inches I think from the top of that basking platform.
    Beertruck likes this.
  19. kaylynangel

Too close for a T 5 inside the tank--- can you raise it up? the closest is 12 inches
  20. kaylynangel

Can you put it in a different spot that decor is lower+ ? Post a pic of the whole tank