• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation or illness?

Elektra Bauer

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm having some concerns with my beardie, Spyro. I got him 3 days ago and he's been spending more and more time sleeping. During the day and for long periods at a time. Even when I take him out of his enclosure he just snuggles into me and goes back to sleep. He has been eating less then his previous owner told me he would, but I attributed that to a new home, however today he hasn't eaten anything at all and has been sleeping even more. I just wanted to get opinions on wether this is Brumation, stress, or some sort of possible illness.

I live in Canada, so our falls and Winters get pretty cold. Is it recommended to maybe get another heat bulb for the winter?

He is about a year old, over 16 inches from head to tail, on a good diet of live insects and fresh veggies. (No mealworms. And this is the information I was given by his previous owner)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
First of all make sure your temps are right. Basking should be around 107 degrees Fahrenheit. Measure with a digital probe thermometer or with an infrared temp gun. They won't eat if they are too cold because they can't digest. If that doesn't help, he will need a vet visit to rule out parasites or anything else.