• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation, and other begginner breeding questions

happyhedgehog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ive heard that breeding typically happens after brumation, but I have never observed my female brumate, should I try to enduce brumation before i breed her? Is this absolutely nessecary?
Ive also seen alot about egg binding and how it is a large posed risk, how do i ensure my beardie doesnt have egg binding?
I rescued my beardie when she was pretty young, and Ive had her for about a year now, Im not sure how old she is. but how old is the suggested breeding age? I also rescued my male and he is a little smaller than her, but I got him when he was grown, how can I find out how old he is?
Also what is the base price breeders sell their baby normal morph dragons for? Im still trying to figure out what morphs I have as the rescue situations gave me no lineage.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You want to breed when they are 18months+. I wouldn't breed rescues because you don't know their lineage, they could be related. Not to mention, rescues could have underlying health issues that can be exasperated by the breeding process. There really is no way to prevent egg binding or other egg issues.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Patsy on not breeding rescues as you really can't know their lineage..