• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Broken toe?

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
Took Elmo out for her bath today to get her ready for Petco's reptile rally tomorrow and I noticed her toe is coming off or maybe just broken.

Whenever Petco is having a reptile event I always bring Elmo because she loves the attention and it helps people see how big beardies actually get.

She hasn't been acting any different and I admit I haven't been paying her much attention lately since I've been sick but I have no clue what happened to her toe. Almost looks like too many bad sheds is taking a toe off, but you'd think I'd notice it before it got this bad.

I'm going to see if there's a vet with any openings tomorrow. If not, she'll go Monday. She's at least 6 years old so I really don't want to put her through something really traumatic just to give her another year or two.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before?

a3b18809f5d04802899c17434bd0dbd0.jpg

abf1618919da39b77866a77694cd2428.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It looks like there's some stuck shed on one toe which also has an awkwardly growing nail that you'll want to trim down, but none of them appear to be broken.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
These pics really don't do it justice. Her toe is halfway off. I just can't figure out what happened. Everything looked normal a week ago

jam5971

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Have you got a wicker hammock or similar in his enclosure? I read somewhere instances where they've got their toes caught in it. If you have maybe what did the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's hard to say what happened to the toe. Breaks usually just heal. If his body is isolating the toe, and it's begun to fall off, there isn't much you can do to stop it. This is happening to the end of my little guys tail, actually, so I understand what you're going through. Keep a close eye on your boys foot and keep his enclosure as clean and sanitary as possible until he heals up. You can schedule a vet appointment for piece of mind if you'd like.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It looks like there may have been some stuck shed. The foot itself looks a little swollen over the toe. It's probably going to fall off on its own but I would still go to the vet in case an antibiotic is needed.

Don't beat yourself up, feet are easily overlooked. My boy Lost a whole nail once and I didn't realize it until one day I picked him up and noticed the new one growing back in.

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
Elmo has one less toe now. The vet thinks she tore it and then a shed finished it off. He cauterized it off and sent her home. No antibiotics, no restrictions. He said other than her toe she looked really good. Huge weight off my chest.

Extra worms now for poor Elmo
bbf3a06f10da70925a701d208237b82b.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor Baby, glad you got it taken care of though.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm glad the get was able to take it off quick! One less toe won't slow Elmo down a bit.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad you got it taken care of.. From the looks of it looks like got stuck in a net or hammock it's pretty common.. Glad all better and Elmo can get back to being Elmo :)

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
92f8307ffa21a33e4ff1b84001d2f374.jpg

This is her tank setup. I can't figure out where she would've gotten caught. I figure it was a freak incident that won't likely happen again, but I wish I knew what happened so I could guarantee it. Her nails aren't that long, but do you think she got a nail caught in her carpet?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well she could have gotten it caught in the carpet, or maybe it was caused by stuck shed that wasn't seen??

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
The vet thought the shed finished the toe off but was pretty sure she caught it in something first.

Most of her toes and nails are weird shapes. So who knows what her nails could've been caught on

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She could have snagged it on the carpet or got it stuck in a crack in the wood. Who knows with them.