• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bringing home baby

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
Recently my family adopted a beautiful leatherback baby! He seems to be adjusting fine, except that he hasn't wanted to eat. :/

He was visibly dehydrated when we brought him home. I gave him a bath, but he didn't drink. So I 1:1 some melon powerade and let him sip from a syringe. He doesn't appear to be in shed, and all of his Temps are as close to perfect as they can be.

Other than eating he seems perfect.

My question is, how long before I worry?

6in. 7.3g
Substrate is excavator clay
(Temporary) 10gal aquarium
Exotera 50w basking bulb
Reptisun 10 compact UVB
Bask temp 106
Cool end 82
Night temp is usually 72
Gun thermometer
12 on 12 off.

Thank you!

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
SOS! He took a nose dive. Beard turned black, started frantically running around the tank, attempted to vomit and is now extremely lethargic. Help?!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
My first thought is stress related because of new home and a tank that is too small - that would explain lack of eating, frantic behavior including black beard, and lethargy from lack of food.

The vomiting is concerning. Has he eaten anything large, or is the excavator clay loose where he could have ingested some?

Keep an eye on him and his temps - warm baths or a vet visit if you think it could be impaction. You may want to change up is tank into a 'quarantine style' until he gets better - no substrate, nothing he could fall off of and hurt himself, just a simple hide for him to use - you want to be able to monitor him. Has he pooped for you at all? Have you tried spritzing the sides of his tank and his snout to see if he licks it up?

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
My first thought is stress related because of new home and a tank that is too small - that would explain lack of eating, frantic behavior including black beard, and lethargy from lack of food.

The vomiting is concerning. Has he eaten anything large, or is the excavator clay loose where he could have ingested some?

Keep an eye on him and his temps - warm baths or a vet visit if you think it could be impaction. You may want to change up is tank into a 'quarantine style' until he gets better - no substrate, nothing he could fall off of and hurt himself, just a simple hide for him to use - you want to be able to monitor him. Has he pooped for you at all? Have you tried spritzing the sides of his tank and his snout to see if he licks it up?

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry (new to the forum buttons)

His substrate is solid packed, and I also wet and repack anything that looks loose. And the the tank is very temporary. (Viv in remodel is 35x20x37 His stools yesterday were dehydrated, but I've been giving syringe fluids. As far as impaction goes, I have no idea. He hasn't eaten anything since being here. The local store I got him from had collard greens and small crickets in the tank. I offered crickets 3 times yesterday, and put a mustard/pepper/squash salad in his viv.

When I woke up today he was out of his hide waiting for the lights to come on. He's currently gaping beautifully under his basking lamp. Head up, eyes clear....

I'll have to keep an update... he freaks me out.