• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding livestock

Midge

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all

Was wondering if dubia roaches are easy to breed and how?

My dragon has a hard time going to the toilet and apparently it's the locust I feed her. According to my vet they don't have much water content but dubia roaches does.

Thinking about breeding them so it's cheaper for me rather than buying them weekly etc

Any help would be great

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Are you sure you can use Dubia in your state? In some states, with warmer climates, they are not allowed for fear of them becoming an invasive species if they were to get free.

You can often buy a large group of them, which includes adults, from the sites that sell them in order to get a colony started. A word of warning the adults are HUGE and look much different from the subadults. I think they do start breeding a bit before they are obvious adults because I too have seen babies in with the ones I use to feed our beardie Hagrid. That usually happens month after I have ordered a large group. I am currently on my 1st attempt at actively encouraging breeding. I bought a handful of breeding females, along with at least 25-50 of the other various sizes plus some new adults, when ordering a large batch of feeders. I definitely have some true babies this time.

I personally like Dubia Roach Depot as a source of info and roaches, but their availability of roaches can vary at any given time since of course they need to be sure to keep enough of each size to keep their colony healthy and growing. I love their roach chow. It has no obvious smell, unlike some other roach chows which contain a lot of fish/fish flakes/fish oil which has benefits but also seems to include a strong odor. When I was mixing them together, when I went to refill the bowl the Dubia Roach Chow was gone long before the other type.

Another place I have bought from and have been extremely happy with them is ABDragons. The nice thing is they have other feeder options, besides Dubia.

I love the Dubia because they are nutritionally very good and Hagrid has loved them since he was tiny. Our breeder recommended getting some x-small in case he was doing poorly with eating after he got to us.

Melanie White

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all

Was wondering if dubia roaches are easy to breed and how?

My dragon has a hard time going to the toilet and apparently it's the locust I feed her. According to my vet they don't have much water content but dubia roaches does.

Thinking about breeding them so it's cheaper for me rather than buying them weekly etc

Any help would be great

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hello! I actually just stared my own colony. I got some advice here and there and decided that overall, it IS a GOOD idea to raise your own dubia colony!!

You could either buy a few adults, put them in a container with heat and wait 7-12 months before you could even think about feeding off those roaches...OR you can do what I did (and many people do) get on Ebay (or something like) and buy a Roach Colony Kit. They are a little spendy to start ($80-$130 give or take..you can find a good deal if you look around) but, honestly, you will SAVE so much money down the road!!

The Dubia Roach Colony kit that I bought came with egg flats, roach food, water crystals, 6 pairs of Adults to breed and 500 mixed sizes of roaches! Doing it this way, I still need to Wait to feed any of these roaches off until they produce more. So yes, I did just place another order of roaches to feed to my beardies/chameleon, BUT after about 3-4 months, if I'm patient, I'll soon be able to sort through the different sizes and then begin to feed off the ones in my colony.

After that point, I won't have to BUY anymore and eventually, IF I wanted to, I could sell a few here and there to regulate how much they breed.

Check out this website:

https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roach-information.html

They have the best info I've found all in one spot. BUT I wouldn't recommend buying the roach kits from them ONLY bcuz they are Expensive! I'm sure they are good quality so you know you'll be getting good product/roaches.. I go back to this spot to remind myself on things I need or specifics I need to know, but I ended buying my Dubia Roach Colony Kit on Ebay and Amazon for the Heat Tape that I attached to the outside of my 14gallon Rubbermaid container. You'll also want to invest in a digital Temp Gun to be sure you have accurate temps so the breed well!!

Good luck!!