• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Tail when excited/stressed

Ryan Konieczka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
Newbie bearded dragon owner here. My bearded dragon is a couple months old, and the previous owner told me his tail was nipped as a baby. Now that he's gotten a bit older i started to notice that the tail turns black after taking him out and putting him back into the tank. I read on here that this could mean a necessary vet visit and potentially cutting off the tail, but i wanted mass opinions first before i shell out the cash. Thanks.

P.S. One of the pictures shows right after taking out of tank and putting back in. The other is him just relaxing in the tank.
IMG-5222.JPG
IMG-5225.JPG

The Lizard Lady

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Based on the pictures you have provided (primarily the second one), I'd say that the black coloration is just his natural color. As I'm sure you've noticed, beardies do darken when removed from their basking heat source in an attempt to catch more heat or if they are stressed/excited. The presence of gray isn't necessarily alarming because it can be seen on quite a bit of the tail. That being said, it would never hurt to take him him for a vet visit if you still have concerns. Some things to look out for are: issues shedding near the end of the tail, scabbing, and darkening of the tail tip. If you do happen to see this darkening of the tail (Generally just the tip), that indicates tail rot and he should be seen by a vet to have the rotted area removed and treated. Best of luck, and beautiful dragon!!