• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bio tanks?

Lee_anthony

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey y'all, my names Lee, we jittery adopted a two year old dragon her name is bubblegum. I was looking into setting up a bio tank, supposedly self cleaning self sustained. Just wanted some feedback, thoughts, do they work an recommendations?
1201181654a_HDR.jpg
1201181713.jpg

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I have zero experience with a biotank, just wanted to say hi and welcome! What a big and adorable girl!!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, welcome to the forum. That is a gorgeous dragon you have there, congrats. A few people have tried bioactive substrates here. To be honest they always sounded like more trouble than they are worth to me, but saying that I have never actually tried it. There is maintanance involved , you have to keep your substrate alive or it will stop working (isopods and springtails can die off if it dries out), but its the humidity that has put me off. There is an old post here that goes into detail on how to accomplish what you want, good luck.

https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/bioactive-soil-as-a-substrate-choice.11152/