• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bio tank

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What’s your opinions on, for lack of a better term, bio tanks like below. Difficult to maintain? Would a dragon feel at home? What plant life is safe?etc. thanks much.
1588747026883.jpeg

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I personally like bioactive tanks for dragons they are a bit harder to maintain and bearded dragons like to eat all of the plants so you keep having to add new ones. Your bioactive tank looks good for the most part the only thing I would be concerned about is that the bearded dragon might eat some of that loose moss you have. I would either pat it down or get rid of most of it.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally like bioactive tanks for dragons they are a bit harder to maintain and bearded dragons like to eat all of the plants so you keep having to add new ones. Your bioactive tank looks good for the most part the only thing I would be concerned about is that the bearded dragon might eat some of that loose moss you have. I would either pat it down or get rid of most of it.
Thanks much. What plants/moss are safe. Safety of the dragon comes first. Any suggested reading. I could just google but I’d rather go with your opinions.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am so sorry I forgot. More plants that are safe are, air plants, turtle Vines, elephant feed, mint. Mosses that are safe are sphagnum, New Zealand sphagnum, and Spanish moss. There are many more types of plants these are just ones I have experience with, except the turtle Vine.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
As substrate you can use The Bio Dudes desert substrate or as a cheaper alternative coconut fiber plus sand and moss also works. You want to have it at least 3 inches.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For the substrate you want to use 70% cocoa fiber, 20% sand and 10% moss then add extra moss and leaves on top.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks much, is sand safe for dragons? I read to avoid sand. Or is it safe for use in a substrate mixture?thanks

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It becomes safe when you mix it because sand can cause impaction but when you mix it with other things and add leaves on top it becomes safe because it isn't so loose.

CalviNndHobbeS5590

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, everybody!
I’m new here. My girlfriend brought home a juvenile bearded dragon from work almost two weeks ago (she’s a surgery tech in a vets office) anyways, I decided to set up a bioactive enclosure for it in an old 40 gallon breeder I had kicking around from when I used to breed Russian tortoises. After a ton of reading and some YouTube I went with a mix of organic potting soil, sand, coconut fiber, and some leaf litter for a substrate. For plants the little guy has two aloe plants, two succulents, a rosemary bush, a basil plant, and some parsley. I added a colony of isopods and springtails plus a handful of meal worms (I’ve got an excess number of those from my chameleon who loves them as treats). The humidity has been at pretty much 32 percent constantly in the cool area usually mid twenties for the hotspot, the hotspot hits 102 degrees Fahrenheit and the cooler areas range from 80-84 degrees Fahrenheit. The little guy seems to be very happy and doing well after about a week in the new home. This is however my first ever bearded dragon and I just wanted to know if I should change anything or leave it as is.

Thanks in advance!