• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardies on holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgesaarh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi
I want to go away for Christmas and take my bearded dragon with me.
Does any one know of a portable vivarium?
Also when I bought him I was given a polystyrene box to transport him home in which he hated, can anyone recommend anything else for a 7 hour car journey.

Thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, hodgesaarh and welcome.

Although I am aware of cases where beardies travel well, most beardies don't. And can undergo relocation stress.

If you do want to try it, you may want to consider travelling at night when your bd is sleeping and temps can drop to 65F. As far as a travel viv, we transport ours to the herp vet in a wire mesh cage.

Are you looking to use the travel viv the entire holiday away?

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
im sure habistat make atravel viv but there only small about 2ft by1ft maybee use one travel at night and take your own viv with you also check out exterra products lovebrasshandle xxx

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm not familiar with portable vivs. Not sure how old your beardie is, but you could use your smaller viv when your beardie was younger. A 35 gallon viv is not difficult to transport.

hodgesaarh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies... still not quite sure what to do, might get a neighbour to look after him.
What does everyone think of the flexariums for beardies?

Thanks.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
flexarium is what we use when we put bernie outside during the summer or to transport him to the vet. i wouldn't use it for every day use.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have only had to transport my bearded dragon when I moved. It was at night and I kept the heat blaring to keep the temp high enough. I was sweating to death but it didn't seem to phase him.

I used my normal screened terrarium that I use to take him outside in. I know there are more "official" traveling carriers as everyone else has mentioned, but I have also read about the shock value since bearded dragons are so alert to their surroundings.

Do you have anyone that can stop by a few times during the week? If you must take him, just make sure you take some things from his current environment. So buy a travel terrarium large enough to fit his log he lays on to sleep - considerations like that...

Have a good vacation!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI, Hodgesaarh. Well, the holidays are approaching and I was curious if you decided what to do with your dragon?

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This board is obviously old, But heres advice on traveling with your beardie:

Mine is a baby named S.J, and when we went camping for new years, I held his cage still (The streets are really bumpy) and covered it with a blanket. I checked him every once in a while, and he was sleeping like a rock! So I reccomend the blanket, because not being able to see out, and being in a dark cage makes them sleep without a single worry!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great advice! Yes, travelling with a blanket over their cage would imitate night time and put your bearded dragon in sleeping mode.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
heheh, Thank you, Renee. I've studied bearded dragons so much, I swear my brain is going to explode if I read one more book.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol...I know what you mean. When my hubby and I first bought Bernie, we overloaded on literature. That is why we formed this site. It started as a place for us to jot our notes down so we could keep ourselves sane!

We were never so scared in our lives...do this or your bearded dragon will die! if you don't do this....your bearded dragon will die....this will cause impaction...and possibly death! It was quite a ride. Although, all of it is very serious stuff and should not be taken lightly, it is overwhelming at first. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.