• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beardie wont eat crickets but loves all kinds of worms

Nancy_alex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My beardie Lolita doesnt like crickets but loves all the different kinds of worms...wax worms, butter worms, super worms, silk worms, is it ok to just stop trying to fed her crickets and have her main source of protien come from worms? Also I have a question about feeding her squash and sweet potato, do you cook it first or feed it raw? She is 8 months old and I heard around this time they will ease up on the protein and start eating more veggies and fruit is this correct, and if possible could someone clear up if it is ok to feed Lolita carrots? thanks a lot I know a lot of questions, but Im new owner and have a lot of questions ???..just want her to be the happiest healthiest beardie she can...lol ;D
thanks a bunch..Nancy

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! No worries about the questions. Ask away! :D

Silk worms are known to be a staple for bearded dragons. They have a lot of good stuff in them. Phoenix worms are also good. I would limit the amount of wax worms, because they are high in fat.

You serve the sweet potato and squash raw. As a matter of fact, all veggies/fruit should be served raw. Carrots are ok, but not as a regular salad part.

And you are correct, as a beardie reaches 1 year old, they will eat salad daily and proteins about every other day.

Nancy_alex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thank you .... ya I have always had animals..a pig, many dog, many cats, guinea pig, rabbits... fish but never any reptiles and am finding that they are a little tricky to take care of but fun...They are a constant work in progress I guess, but they keep ya on your toes.... I will most likely have a lot more questions. But I do have some good news she ate a cricket today I put her in a large rubbermaid container where she had room to run around and catch the cricket, so I think thats what Im going to do now feed her in the rubbermaid, with the crickets and worms any who and put her salads in her tank to snack on.
Oh and a few more question for now... at what age is a bearded dragon a adult? and how often should you bathe them? and for how long should you let them stay in the water...oh and should I get a little bathing area in her tank...I read that it helps them poop, thanks... so many questions..heheh again
Nancy and Lolita ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Baths are very important for bearded dragons. Beardies less than 6 months old should get baths daily. Over 6 months old can go weekly. The bath should be lukewarm, comparable to baby bath water...that is human babies. ;)

They should get a good soak for 20 minutes. If the water stays warm, they can go longer. Make sure you dry your beardie off before going back in the tank. You don't want to create a humid environment.

Having water in the viv is fine. But I would not count that as a bath. They need to be up to their shoulders. A lot of beardies fight their baths at first, but soon learn to love it. A lot of them will swim in their baths. And yes, Bernard pooped in his bath every time. It is a lot cleaner than in the viv.