• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie tank ideas?

Kreeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, I'm a new beardie owner and I got my girl Peppa a little over a month ago. Everything's fine with her so far, but I wanna get some ideas to make her terrarium look more alive and natural. Here's her current terrarium and you can see it's a little bland. Thanks in advance!
IMG_20190712_184734.jpg

Kreeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Actually it looks good maybe a little over crowded -- they do like floor space -- the UVB that you have what brand and bulb is it?
kaylyn
I can't quite remember what brand it is, I threw the box away but I planned on buying a different one

Kreeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so if your getting a new one here is some info for you on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- if you have any questions please ask also there is a ton of info on the General Discussion Board under the Newbies Guide and What to Buy ---
kaylyn
Okay, thanks. And do you perhaps know the best way to mount it inside of the tank? I know that the mesh screens can block a lot of the UV light from getting inside the tank

Kreeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of screen do you have is it a fine mesh or wide hole? Reason 1 if you get a T 5 bulb it can go on top of tank it is strong enough to filter the UVB rays thru if its wide--- Reason 2 if you get a T 8 it will need to go inside the tank --- approx 6-8 inches from basking --- here is some ideas for hanging
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-C...18:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297 Here is what the plastic zip ties look like
Here is a pic of the way someone hung theres in the tank
View attachment 20597
kaylyn
It's a fine mesh screen sadly, so most of the UV is probably getting blocked. I'll run to Walmart and find some Velcro strips or zip ties. Thanks!