• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie randomly died today

kaybird

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie was a little over a year old when I rescued him 6 months ago. I rescued him from people who had his tank lined with wet cardboard, were feeding him iceberg lettuce/ non-dusted crickets, and were heating him with a single tiny walmart lightbulb and NO UVB. Despite being fed pure crap food, he was overweight and barely moved.

Here we are, about 6 months later....

This morning I was showering and smelled something awful, which I thought was poop. Turned out he was throwing up all over the cage. His beard and tip of his tail were blacker than anything he has shown before. I immediately cleaned his cage tiles and put him in the bath to rinse him off. I originally put him on my heating pad (wrapped in a towel), and he started pulling himself up--- only to start throwing up again and shaking it everywhere. I put him in a warm bath again and then put him up on the window sill to get some fresh air and sunlight. After checking up on him for two hours, he seemed to only get worse. He couldn't prop his head, hold himself up, or really move. I was afraid to leave him alone, but had to go to class. I put him on his favorite hammock with the basking lamp and UVB right over him. My boyfriend rushed home right after I left, but just within that small amount of time is when he passed away.

My question is--- can anyone help me figure out what happened?? He was fine, starts throwing up and then just dies? I've had a beardie before that my ex now has and that beardie had thrown up before and went right back to normal. I thought maybe the new kale he had eaten the past two days had something wrong with them, or maybe he had parasites from some bad worms a while back? I'm just completely devastated...

Tank/diet info below....

Tank size: 75+
Diet: Dusted super worms, would change between mustard greens/turnip greens/ kale, a few berries every other week
Lighting: UVB 26W, 100 watt basking

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
with his throwing up it is possible he could have aspirated some of his vomit into his lungs. poor thing. I'm sorry for your loss..I lost my beloved spike the 2nd of November so I know how it feels to lose someone you cared for and rescued from a bad life.

kaybird

Bearded Dragon Egg
with his throwing up it is possible he could have aspirated some of his vomit into his lungs. poor thing. I'm sorry for your loss..I lost my beloved spike the 2nd of November so I know how it feels to lose someone you cared for and rescued from a bad life.
So you don't feel like it's something I've done wrong? I've been sick to my stomach thinking I killed him somehow...

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
when spike died I felt the same way. I kept thinking some how I did something wrong but my vet made me feel better. She says that sometimes these things happen even when your doing everything right. Spike didn't appear to be critical when I brought him in just a little diarrhea and no appetite and his beard was super black and so were his sides. we tried medicine like we did in the past but he took a sudden turn for the worse after throwing up, he started gasping and it was so late I could not get him to the animal hospital a town away, I had an feeling he wasn't going to make it through the night. so I made him as comfortable as I could and snuggled with him in my bed and he passed peacefully knowing he was loved.
I miss him every day.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about your loss.. Just to let you know sometimes things happen that are out of our control..I lost my 3 year old Izzy beginning of this year and I had NO clue she was sick..She was a bit off for her so I thought maybe she picked up some parasites (afterall I have 2 males) I took her in to the vet. Xrays done as a lump was felt, bloodwork pulled....Izzy died in my hands right there in the vet's office!!

No amount of could of's should of's will change things.. Being a veteran to beardies it even happens to us. Hugs to you both.

kaybird

Bearded Dragon Egg
when spike died I felt the same way. I kept thinking some how I did something wrong but my vet made me feel better. She says that sometimes these things happen even when your doing everything right. Spike didn't appear to be critical when I brought him in just a little diarrhea and no appetite and his beard was super black and so were his sides. we tried medicine like we did in the past but he took a sudden turn for the worse after throwing up, he started gasping and it was so late I could not get him to the animal hospital a town away, I had an feeling he wasn't going to make it through the night. so I made him as comfortable as I could and snuggled with him in my bed and he passed peacefully knowing he was loved.
I miss him every day.
I'm so sorry for your loss :( I definitely know that feeling of trying to make him as comfy as possible as I watched it happen. Before I got him I never understood how people could actually love reptiles. Now I've cried like a baby over losing my sweet Brad.

Thank you guys for being so supportive. I'm pretty new to this forum and I already feel like there's so many people that I can relate to on here. It's been really helpful.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry for your loss. Another possibility is that maybe he at a bug that got in his tank that was poisonous.