• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Novice

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,
I am the owner of 2 bearded dragons that I housed together up until they were about 7 months. They got along great until that fateful day of January 11th, 2020. I quickly separated them and had to keep them apart until I moved to new apt and then had them in separate tanks but next to one another. So, again, I have two but the 2nd one grew quicker and larger than the 1st and still is. They are both males; Riley and Basil. Basil (2nd one) is and has always been more aggressive than Riley (1st one). But when they were in line sight, all this "glass surfing" business was going on and so I, a week ago, moved them from within line sight. Yet, they both still do this "glass surfing" business.
They are each in 40 gallon tanks- they were purchased as hatchlings last June and 1 week apart, meaning I bought one one week and the other the next week. So they are essentially the same age. I want them both to be happier, I don't handle them much, I've had a flux situation for the last 6 months and was not really able to bond/socialize with them to that point. And these days - simultaneously- they've both cut down on their cricket intake, but they will eat worms. Basil will eat greens more than Riley.
Lots to say- I know - Question is how to stop all this glass surfing- I'm worried.... Yes I do move stuff around all the time and probably should stop but ....shouldn't they be used to it? Oh and exactly how much does the bite hurt?

G.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have since separated them- they are no longer within line of sight. The local pet store does not have any roaches- I've been asking for months... I plan to buy shop for them on the internet. Problem is that I just recently purchased 500 crickets that they are not interested in :( However, I do plan to get the roaches. They will eat greens and worms. The larger one has since settled a little, but the smaller one is still poking the glass with his nose. But when he sees me looking he stops. Idk.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
They've both seemed to have settled down. Eating more but not like before, where it seemed as though they were so hungry! They were purchased 1 week apart June of 2019, so they are approaching their 1st birthdays. I have read about brumation but not sure I'll know what to do or how it'll look. ...buying roaches today.. Thanks for your support.

G.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Order roaches from here www.dubiaroaches.com they are good fast out of Kansas. Too bad they are not eating them keep me posted please

Hello again, I wonder if the reason they both have decreased appetites is because the want to hibernate? And how can I be sure that this is what's happening and how can I help? I bought them nearly a year ago in June 2019. I mist them daily but have not bathed them. The smaller one loves to be misted- he lifts his head and leans into and will sometimes run to the water bowl and swish around. The larger one enjoys it too but not as much. They've both calmed down and are not glass surfing and but sometimes still pace the tank. I do need to handle them more but am not sure what to do with them when I take them out the tank. I usually put them on the floor (not together) and let them walk around. Should I keep them next to me? And what about their body temp while this is happening?

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have tube UVB's, both T8's with 10 watt? They're both in 40 gal tanks, the temps taken are with the round temp gauges that sit in the tank and are probably not the best way to gauge the real temp. The smaller dragon is roughly 16 in. long and the larger roughly 19 in.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, so they are growing nicely, and they're alert. I will price a digital probe, but these are turning out to be very expensive pets! What I think is happening is the change of environment but they are adjusting and I think the larger one might be ready to hibernate. I think. idk. I recently bought some wax worms which the smaller one (Riley) ate but his appetite has me the most worried. But other than that he's physically okay. He is not losing weight. Neither is. I'm just used to seeing them eat more voraciously than they are now. Could be that they're getting older and they're just not that interested in fast moving crickets?

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
One they should be eating salads every day --- basking temps are a MUST correct ones for them to be healthy --- are you feeding just insects or salads too - the digital probes are not that expensive 4 of them may cost around $20 --- or so --- Riley is the youngest ? He may not be getting enough to eat -- you need to feed fresh salads every day --- prevention of health is key here which would be good husbandry and diet -- that will keep the vet away-------------- here is a nutrition website for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is a good staple feeder so ignore what the site says
also wax worms are too fatty once in awhile is good too many will cause liver issues -- you can feed super worms butter worms silk worms -- I would get the both of the switched over to dubia roaches -- they are more nutritional than crickets -- they tend to cause parasites they stink and they chirp --- dubias you can keep in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food along w/ the food the dragon eats like squash and carrots for hydration --- and they last a long time -- hibernation period is pretty much over w/ ---- most are coming out of hibernation now --- if hes being lethargic and not eating something else is going on -- they can be lazy now given the weather but they still should be eating basking and pooping --- that is why I went over the lighting w/ you and basking temps - they will not eat if they are dehydrated or if they have possible parasites --- does the poop really stink so bad its driving you out of the room smell -- that would be a sign of parasites as well as really runny poop ------------- dragons hide their sickness very well that is why you need to keep an eye on their behavior -- they will hide it to the fact they can no longer hide it or you just find them dead like a girl did this morning on another forum - the two dragons can they see each other and they are both males -- it would be good so they dont see each other --- they are very territorial

They are both offered greens, however, Riley, the smaller but first purchased and whom I consider to be older will not partake. He will eat a blueberry, now and again but not lately. Basil, the larger but 2nd purchased will eat mostly everything offered except mango- which I've tried to introduce recently. I've been offering collards, broccoli, carrot (which I don't think they eat)... I've ordered more dubia roaches- they smell too...And I'd love to keep them in a 10 gal...except I still have about 480 crickets of the 500 recently purchased that they will not eat. Unless, do you think they noticed that they are not from petsmart? I believe I can keep the roaches with the crickets- yes? Since they are not eating much, they are not pooping much either and not it's not any smellier than usual and it's not runny. And they are both males and cannot see one another. However Basil did notice when I took Riley out for some air and immediately ran over to see.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would not keep the dubias and crickets together --- too many health risk between the two of them --- and that is too bad about the crickets --- I am not sure about the noticing part the only way to tell is go get some from petsmart try and feed and see what happens - that will give you an answer --- now for your little stinker that wont eat greens get a glass bowl or ceramic get some super worms and you can order some BSFL as well they are another good staple feeder for younger ones but are a good lure to the salad bowl - get your salad and take 1-3 super worms and some BSFL and put on top of his salad first thing in the morning --- you can get BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order large and dont dust them feed as many as you want use 1-3 super worms and make sure he sees you add them to the bowl - the movement will entice him to the bowl --- I would cut out the broccoli and feed carrots to the dubias and crickets but not the dragons- the website I posted for nutrition please look at it - it will give you lots of other choices to feed as far as greens --- you need to keep a weight on both of them - a kitchen food scale will work and get a chart going so you can keep track of their weights and growth - weigh in grams --- that way you can tell if they are loosing weight -- has Basil slowed down on eating or is he eating good and just the younger one?

The top is Basil and the bottom is Riley. What is/are BSFL's?

Basil.jpg
Riley.jpg

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well hello again! Update: They both have still turning their noses up at the crickets- and it's crickets purchased anywhere. Riley has been getting by on the wax worms, roaches and superworms (barely), Basil is eating. Riley is seemingly super finicky, however, today, I let him out to walk around while I cleaned out the tank- he got a little exercise and when I put him back he ate the mustard greens. I do have a green pepper, celery mix with a piece of apple and blueberry. Same with Basil but he'll eat most of that stuff. Funny thing is that they won't eat the Mango. I also ordered some hornworms, superworms, and nutrigrubs. There seems to be a silkworm shortage? btw, they will not eat earthworms. They are not losing weight or anything, they just seem more lazy somedays. For instance Basil hid most of the day two days ago.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello again, So Riley has been 'glass surfing' a lot in the last 2 weeks. Idk why. He is out of line of sight of the other dragon. Nothing in his environment has been changed or moved. However he did shed in the last week, but he doesn't hide. I spritz him, he likes it, he rises into into the mist. I cannot understand why he is so agitated. He eats his greens, he eats the superworms, calci-worms, wax-worms, horn-worms. The tank is at 100 - 110 degrees. His tank does face the patio door to which he can see straight outside. But if this bothers him, it's new.
I would also like some advice about zen environments. They are both growing and I don't want two 75 gal tanks...
I'd like to know if there are any alternatives

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello welcome to the forum! About the glass surfing there's nothing you can really do except to give them a bigger cage to run around or let them out of their cage more. It might also be hormones.

1geanette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hormones? That's new to me. I've been letting him out the cage more, he's cool today, no glass surfing. The other funny thing is that according to beardie behaviors, the head bobber is supposed to be the more aggressive dragon, and the arm waver is the submissive... So the one who is doing the head bobbing was never the more aggressive dragon and the one who is doing the arm waving was never the submissive dragon (they used to be cage mates, until they were 7 months old, when the one who is behaving submissive attacked him) Now, when Basil (arm waver) walks pass the other's cage (head bobber) he goes crazy! His (Riley) beard goes black, he head bobs crazy aggressive, and even when he goes pass Basil's cage he bobs his head crazy, and Basil just does the slow wave.