• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating

J

JadeB2000

Hello! Had my beardie for 9 days. He was doing so well with me. But after I put him in a deeper bucket to clean his tank yesterday, he’s not being eating his meal worms which are usually his favourite! I even left some in his cage and he hasn’t touched them. Same thing this morning. He was very restless. Running away more than usual while trying to pick him up. Not sitting in his feeding bin like he usually does. Running up my arms instead of sitting in my hand. Could this behaviour just be from stress ? Will he calm down? How can I help him? His tail is also lighter than his body—I’ve heard this is a sign of shedding? Could this be contributing? Please help! Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Had my beardie for 9 days. He was doing so well with me. But after I put him in a deeper bucket to clean his tank yesterday, he’s not being eating his meal worms which are usually his favourite! I even left some in his cage and he hasn’t touched them. Same thing this morning. He was very restless. Running away more than usual while trying to pick him up. Not sitting in his feeding bin like he usually does. Running up my arms instead of sitting in my hand. Could this behaviour just be from stress ? Will he calm down? How can I help him? His tail is also lighter than his body—I’ve heard this is a sign of shedding? Could this be contributing? Please help! Thanks!
Please try and clean his tank w/ him in it - unless your doing a deep cleaning but every day spot cleaning etc leave him in the tank -- it will get him used to you in his tank -- hes going to go thru relocation stress which is normal --- how old is the dragon please? If hes a baby or under a year I would recommend not feeding any meal worms until hes closer to a year old -- mealworms are to harsh on babies stomachs because of the exoskeleton --- please start feeding a good staple insect like dubia roaches crickets BSFL or silk worms -- and its best to start getting them on line please do not rely on pet stores especially w/ winter coming a lot of people had a hard time getting insects from those stores -- its best to start stocking up on them now and I recommend dubias they are a lot easier to keep and they last longer than crickets do -- if you would like some websites etc I can help --- he should also be eating salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
his tail is probably going into shed and it will effect their appetite -- he needs to acclimate to his tank and surroundings -- handle him like 5 minutes at a time in his tank - maybe hold him right outside his tank talk to him pet him -- make sure your getting correct basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- please no stick ons 105-110 for a baby juvie/ adult 95-100 -- and your UVB should be a long tube fixture no coils please they are inadequate -- if you need help please ask I can help you w/ the fixture ---- they have certain distance and placement as to where they are placed in the tank --- please do not get any Zilla or Thrive brands they are no good --
I can give you information on what to get and websites on insects / worms as well

J

JadeB2000

Please try and clean his tank w/ him in it - unless your doing a deep cleaning but every day spot cleaning etc leave him in the tank -- it will get him used to you in his tank -- hes going to go thru relocation stress which is normal --- how old is the dragon please? If hes a baby or under a year I would recommend not feeding any meal worms until hes closer to a year old -- mealworms are to harsh on babies stomachs because of the exoskeleton --- please start feeding a good staple insect like dubia roaches crickets BSFL or silk worms -- and its best to start getting them on line please do not rely on pet stores especially w/ winter coming a lot of people had a hard time getting insects from those stores -- its best to start stocking up on them now and I recommend dubias they are a lot easier to keep and they last longer than crickets do -- if you would like some websites etc I can help --- he should also be eating salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
his tail is probably going into shed and it will effect their appetite -- he needs to acclimate to his tank and surroundings -- handle him like 5 minutes at a time in his tank - maybe hold him right outside his tank talk to him pet him -- make sure your getting correct basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- please no stick ons 105-110 for a baby juvie/ adult 95-100 -- and your UVB should be a long tube fixture no coils please they are inadequate -- if you need help please ask I can help you w/ the fixture ---- they have certain distance and placement as to where they are placed in the tank --- please do not get any Zilla or Thrive brands they are no good --
I can give you information on what to get and websites on insects / worms as well
Hi Sadie. It was a deep clean I was doing. I keep him in there when I’m just spot cleaning :) the pet store recommended meal worms, but I will definitely give the silk worms a try! thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie. It was a deep clean I was doing. I keep him in there when I’m just spot cleaning :) the pet store recommended meal worms, but I will definitely give the silk worms a try! thank you!
Ok silk worms are spendy -- you can get them from here www.reptilianarts.com if you order the cup they come w/ food if you order say 50 they wont come w/ food so you will need to get food - it is mulberry leaves in powder form - please dont go by what the pet store people tell you they often have not a clue as to how to take care of a bearded dragon --