• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Not Eating After Shedding

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
So a little background. I got my beardie for the classroom. I had him at my home for about a month before school started. It took him a week but he adjusted ok. He was eating 12-15 crickets a day or worms. I brought him to school the first week he didn't eat much at all. 2nd week he improved some but wasn't eating like he was at my house. Week 3 at school he started shedding. This a week later, it doesn't look like he is shedding anymore. But he hasn't hardly ate anything. I bought him superworms and crickets. On Friday I put about 10 in there he must have ate some because they are gone. I did find a couple dead. He lays under his basking wood all day today. I did get him out. His color seems fine and he still got a belly. He just isn't eating. I would say he his done shedding because I haven't found anymore skin. Could this be from the shedding? From being in the classroom with the kids? I did change his background from the outside to the inside. I think he could see his reflection. He just doesn't seem as active s he was at my house. I don't know if I should take him home until he is older?? He is fairly small. My main worry is the decreased appetite and hiding under his rock all day. When the kids are out of the room he seems more willing to be out.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So a little background. I got my beardie for the classroom. I had him at my home for about a month before school started. It took him a week but he adjusted ok. He was eating 12-15 crickets a day or worms. I brought him to school the first week he didn't eat much at all. 2nd week he improved some but wasn't eating like he was at my house. Week 3 at school he started shedding. This a week later, it doesn't look like he is shedding anymore. But he hasn't hardly ate anything. I bought him superworms and crickets. On Friday I put about 10 in there he must have ate some because they are gone. I did find a couple dead. He lays under his basking wood all day today. I did get him out. His color seems fine and he still got a belly. He just isn't eating. I would say he his done shedding because I haven't found anymore skin. Could this be from the shedding? From being in the classroom with the kids? I did change his background from the outside to the inside. I think he could see his reflection. He just doesn't seem as active s he was at my house. I don't know if I should take him home until he is older?? He is fairly small. My main worry is the decreased appetite and hiding under his rock all day. When the kids are out of the room he seems more willing to be out.

Do you use any substrate that the superworms could hide? or do you put them in a bowl? How old is he? How does his color look? meaning is he a nice and bright color or does he look dull? Maybe he is shedding again as when they are young they seem like they are shedding all the time.

My guess by just reading what you wrote/last statement: I think he is getting stressed by the kids..do they tap on the glass or run by his tank alot? Kinda sounds like maybe the noise with being in the classroom might be stressing him out. Could also be adjusting to being in a new environment again, is there a quieter area in the classroom that you could put him to minimize or decrease his stress?? Does he have plenty of hides for him to get some space away from view?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He may be stressed, adjusting to yet another new environment. It's not a good idea to leave any feeders in his tank because they could decide to bite him. Feed whatever he will eat for about 10 min and then take out the uneaten ones.

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you use any substrate that the superworms could hide? or do you put them in a bowl? How old is he? How does his color look? meaning is he a nice and bright color or does he look dull? Maybe he is shedding again as when they are young they seem like they are shedding all the time.

My guess by just reading what you wrote/last statement: I think he is getting stressed by the kids..do they tap on the glass or run by his tank alot? Kinda sounds like maybe the noise with being in the classroom might be stressing him out. Could also be adjusting to being in a new environment again, is there a quieter area in the classroom that you could put him to minimize or decrease his stress?? Does he have plenty of hides for him to get some space away from view?

He is over buy my desk. I dont let him tap on the glass. Right now they are not even allowed to go up to him, until he improves. There really isnt a place to put him. I am really thinking about taking him back home till he is older. (or maybe not at all) My class has 25 so it can get loud at times. I also wonder if he see his reflection in the tank and if that is stressing him. Someone at the pet store told me to put his background on the inside. I did that but I can still see the reflection. So I am sure he can. When I got him he was very small. I have had him for a month. So I am guessing 2 months old? I just got another hide for him, I left it at home today. I will bring it tomorrow. Currently he has a hammock with fake leaves and a big piece of wood like structure. I just got a rock that he can hide in. Maybe that will help. Sometimes he just runs over to the side of the tank and and tries to almost escape. He looks so stressed, it makes me sad. Do you think I should take him home?

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg

He is till shedding I am gave him a bath and his front arm and end of his tail have skin. So maybe its the shedding. He pooped today, so he has to be eating something.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He may get used to being in the classroom in time, or he may need to be at home hard to tell sometimes.. He's still really young and just adjusting to his new home. I would add in the other hide and see how things go. It's not uncommon for them to glass surf just ask Patsy lol her male Luci surfed a long time that was just him..
If he is shedding again that may be an irritant to him as it's like us having a sunburn and we are peeling.. Just don't pull any shed off..
How many sides of the tank did you cover? Try doing the back and half of the sides and see if that helps

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good news! Cleaned his cage and all the Super Worms I had put in there are gone. I thought they were under the paper towel but they competely gone. He must be eating after everyone leaves. He also ate some greens He doing a lot better. Still hiding during the day when the kids are in the room, but I think he will get used it eventually.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good news! Cleaned his cage and all the Super Worms I had put in there are gone. I thought they were under the paper towel but they competely gone. He must be eating after everyone leaves. He also ate some greens He doing a lot better. Still hiding during the day when the kids are in the room, but I think he will get used it eventually.
That's good news that he's eating.. You should look into a clear dish to put his live items into to keep them from hiding on him, also if you feed crickets they will nibble on a sleeping dragon at night causing wounds.. So getting all feeders out each night is important, not to mention their last meal before lights out should be 2 hours so they have time to digest under their heat and UVB bulbs..Then you can have a greens dish that you can leave in the tank all day.
Having more hides for him and if room durable fake plants (none that items could be bitten off), hammocks for him to move around and still be stealthy.. You could even cover his tank during the most crazy times to give him a viewing break. Or you could give him say a hide on his warm and hide on the cool side and put shelf liner on the front just say 3-4" up and then part way on the side so he can hide behind there away from the kiddo's if he wants. I do think in time he should adjust to the kids and the noise..They are super social critters and typically enjoy watching us..

For example: My male Simon when I first got him I had him in a separate bedroom away from the sightline of my female Izzy.. and he would perk up whenever we came into the room and watched what we would do.. we noticed that if we peeked on him he would just be laying doing nothing looking bored.. so we brought him out and he is now in our kitchen next to a big picture window and he LOVES watching us cooking and loves watching the birds outside.. My Izzy she is in our living room and she loves watching tv!! she during the day doesn't have a screen ontop as she likes to poke her head out to see the tv.. (shes never once tried to get out) at night I put her screen on only to keep our cats from cuddling up in there lol on the side she basks I have shelf liner up the side except the top 3" so she can look out at my fiance and the tv.. Lastly my new one Cooper (now almost 8 weeks old) he is in a tank below Izzy and he Loves watching us and the dog and cats walking around and isn't nervous at all with our movements..

So each dragon is different

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just put a new hid in on the cool side. He is already in it this morning. lol I love this little guy, he is used to me and doesnt mind me holding him. He looks all around. I dont typically get him out unless the kids arent in the room. They dont bother him too much, they are 4th graders and love having him. They follow the rules. He was fine at my house. I have rescue squirrel who occasionally would jump on top of his tank if I wasnt watching. He didnt even seem to be bothered by that. It took him sometime to get used to my house so I assume it will here too. I have 25 students and he is fairly young. I feel bad on the weekends when I am not here. I kinda think he probably enjoys the quiet.

Your beardie sound like so much! I hope Black Beard will be just as social.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just put a new hid in on the cool side. He is already in it this morning. lol I love this little guy, he is used to me and doesnt mind me holding him. He looks all around. I dont typically get him out unless the kids arent in the room. They dont bother him too much, they are 4th graders and love having him. They follow the rules. He was fine at my house. I have rescue squirrel who occasionally would jump on top of his tank if I wasnt watching. He didnt even seem to be bothered by that. It took him sometime to get used to my house so I assume it will here too. I have 25 students and he is fairly young. I feel bad on the weekends when I am not here. I kinda think he probably enjoys the quiet.

Your beardie sound like so much! I hope Black Beard will be just as social.
How old is he?? who feeds him on the weekends??