• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not basking..?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys,
Firstly i want to introduce myself, Im Andrew and im from Australia :)
Ive got a male Beardie named Chace, and i have had him since he was 4 weeks old.

So Chace dosent seem to be basking alot at all, spending most of his time in the cooler end of his enclosure on his branch.
He will only bask for about 5 mins when i move him to his basking spot, or until he is warmed up and opens his mouth.

I'll give everyone a run down on how my enclosure is set up..
002.jpg

Here is a picture of what his enclosure looks like now.. (ive moved the food bowl up on the top left in this photo, it normaly sits down on the bottom..)
003.jpg

The photo above is where he seems to spend most of his time..

Enclosure: 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft(H) made out of melamine

Lighting: 2 75w basking bulbs on a thermostat set to 35 celcius, (when these switch off the basking spot is around 41-43 celcius) i have an additional household bulb that is on all day, and switches off at night that is located at the basking area, as when the basking lights go off, it still seems to him that there is light shinning down) I also have a reptisun 10.0 tube that you can see in the middle of the enclosure, the branch underneath it allows him to get within 9inches pretty much the whole way along the branch.
I have a CHE which turns on at night and which is controlled by a thermostat, so temps dont drop to low.

Beardie: Chace, male is just on 6 months old, weighs only around 180 grams (had recent trouble with him eating, had to change lighting setup and only now is he getting back on his feet) and comes in at 15.5inches.

Temps: Basking area is around 41-43 celcius, hot end is 35 degrees and dosnt get hotter because of the thermostat, coolish end (where he is in the pic above) sits around 26 ceclius and on the ground where his food normaly is, around about 23 celcius.. (I use a twin probe therm to get the temps stated about)

Im just wondering why you think he wouldnt be basking more often?
Temps are fine, as i said he is getting back onto his feet with the eating situation, but is eating a little more every day or two..
Pooping sometimes once a day, or every second day.
Baths are given 3 times a week.
Feeders dusted with calcium Monday - Friday and the Multi on the weekends..

If anyone has any input that would be great,

Cheers.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI and welcome to our forum. Has he always not wanted to bask?

Couple of thoughts come to mind-
It may be too bright over there for him.
You may want to consider getting a branch for the basking ledge. He may be more comfy lounging and basking on that.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another thing, how exactly does he get up to the basking site. from the pics it looks like he has to jump to that log and then climb over. It could be because it is hard for him to get up there on his own. Maybe give him a ramp of some type up to the basking site.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
HI and welcome to our forum. Has he always not wanted to bask?

Couple of thoughts come to mind-
It may be too bright over there for him.
You may want to consider getting a branch for the basking ledge. He may be more comfy lounging and basking on that.

Thankyou for your warm welcome,
Nope, only recently have i noticed it.. He would normaly spend most of his day basking, and/or moving around the enclosure..
Too bright? How could i perhaps make it not so bright without altering the temps?

crypticdragons said:
Another thing, how exactly does he get up to the basking site. from the pics it looks like he has to jump to that log and then climb over. It could be because it is hard for him to get up there on his own. Maybe give him a ramp of some type up to the basking site.

That branch links the two platforms together, and he uses the skull to get onto the branch..
Perhaps another branch, or a platform may be a good option too.

Thanks for that :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah cause one issue for lowered movement could be maybe him having fallen while trying to get up to the site. it is a possibility.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
yeah cause one issue for lowered movement could be maybe him having fallen while trying to get up to the site. it is a possibility.

Hmm.. He seems to be okay in moment wise though..
When i take him out he climbs all over me like he normaly does..

Im taking it into consideration though, might go out and try and find him a log/branch so he is able to get up there more easily..

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh it may not be that he hurt himself. but that he scared himself. he is still tiny so he is learning things. if he fell he could now associate getting up there with a bad experience. therefor he does not want to be there.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mate, nice to see a fellow aussie on board,

Now, BDs like to have a constant light/basking source, wiring the basking light to the thermo means it goes on and off. This could be why he is avoiding it. I have mine on constantly and only have the thermostat wired to a CHE for night time heat. Also wiring the basking light to the thermo will present you a lot of probs in winter as it will not go due to the lower outside temps off at night being so cold and if you turn it off then the enclosure gets too cold. I also noticed in both pics that the first pic has power runing through the thermo with the light on but in the second the lights are on and it appears that the thermostat is not registering the power supply. Having the basking platform made of melamine also stores a lot of floor heat it may be too hot on his belly try putting something on the basking platform to absorb the reflective heat from the basking spot and see if that works. Another thing to consider is the fact that it is summer where we are so the enclosure may be getting pretty hot air temp wise so he does not need to bask.

Cheers,

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
G'day mate, nice to see a fellow aussie on board,

Now, BDs like to have a constant light/basking source, wiring the basking light to the thermo means it goes on and off. This could be why he is avoiding it. I have mine on constantly and only have the thermostat wired to a CHE for night time heat. Also wiring the basking light to the thermo will present you a lot of probs in winter as it will not go due to the lower outside temps off at night being so cold and if you turn it off then the enclosure gets too cold. I also noticed in both pics that the first pic has power runing through the thermo with the light on but in the second the lights are on and it appears that the thermostat is not registering the power supply. Having the basking platform made of melamine also stores a lot of floor heat it may be too hot on his belly try putting something on the basking platform to absorb the reflective heat from the basking spot and see if that works. Another thing to consider is the fact that it is summer where we are so the enclosure may be getting pretty hot air temp wise so he does not need to bask.

Cheers,

Francis is it?
Heard great things about you mate :)

Yes, the 2 basking lights are on the thermostat and they do switch on and off occasionaly, and thats why i have put in a house hold bulb, at the basking area that shines down, so when the basking bulbs go off, it still seems though there is some light. - does that make sence? lol

I have two thermos' the basking lights are hooked up to the one on the right, while the CHE is hooked up to the one in the middle.
The reaosn why the that the first picture had the thermo with the red light on means that the CHE is on and running, and in the second picture, its hard to see, but the light is green, which means it is at its desired temp.

What would be a good option to put on the platform for basking?
It would need to be something flatish so that the temps dont change to much..
Yeh it is summer, but its mild today in Melbourne.. Where bouts you from?

Cheers mate.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Andrew,
Fellow Melbournian mate ;D,

I would actually just put another basking platform on there only lower like a log underneath the platform. Since your basking lights are on flood light mounts you could just point then to cover both basking surface. This would allow him to thermoregulate on his own and bask at the prefered height he wants. I see you still have plenty of room to do this underneath/beside the platform. I would also put the flouro in line with the basking lamp so he does'nt have to choose between one or the other which is most likely another factor why he is not basking.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea (looks like the same dimensions as yours) though i run a MVB in mine.
enclosure1.jpg

attila.jpg

He either moves further or closer to the light along that log to bask at the temp he wants.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You are from Melbourne too?.. Where abouts?

Mmm, seems like a smart idea.. For now though what i might do is just point of the basking lights onto the log in the middle.. Im using a 75w so that might not produce high enough temps, so i have a 100w also that i can easily put in if all else fails.

You said Melamine absorbs alot of heat? Whats something i could put on the basking level to make this a bit better for him, without raising it to close to the lights?

Your setup looks amazing mate!
Im actualy thinking of doing some rock walls soonish - and infact was going to do both ledges.. would this be okay for him to bask on? (was thinking of a non flat surface for the basking platform..) - i dont even know if im making sence lol.

What MVB do you use?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is what ive done now..
004.jpg

You can see ive moved one of the basking lights to shine on the centre point of the wood.
He has actualy been basking now for around 15 minutes, gaping with his mouth open at times..
Temps are fine too..
Basking area temp is pretty much the same, i think just with the second bulb when it shined on there it was just adding to the area more than the temp.

Thought id add some pics of Chace for you all to see too :)

When he was a baby..
l_92fd1d8800e04474b42175d8c9138eb4.jpg

Getting bigger :)
152.jpg

Recent :)
188.jpg

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Andrewlloyd said:
You are from Melbourne too?.. Where abouts?
Western Subs

You said Melamine absorbs alot of heat? Whats something i could put on the basking level to make this a bit better for him, without raising it to close to the lights?
try repti carpet or just a peice of plywood, anything really to cover the white laminate of the melamine which heat up too much

Your setup looks amazing mate!
Im actualy thinking of doing some rock walls soonish - and infact was going to do both ledges.. would this be okay for him to bask on? (was thinking of a non flat surface for the basking platform..) - i dont even know if im making sence lol.

Cheers :)
It depends on what you cover the platforms with and how close they are to the light, i had a grout covered hide for my shingleback under its basking light and after an hour or so the top surface of it was too hot to touch (needless to say i moved it lol)

What MVB do you use?
I have used several brands currently I'm using Hagen Solarglo 125 Watts, but they have just jacked up the price by about $20 bucks, Aussie sun are good as well from the herpshop and cheaper

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Western subs? Me too.. Lol where abouts!
I think i may try the repticarpet, i think i have some laying around somewhere..

Yeh i was thinking of using grout too..
Hmm, ill have to work something else out then if you have done the same and it got too hot..
I'll see how the repticarpet goes, and ill go from there..

Where do you get the solarglo from?
Ive actualy used the Aussie sun from Brian, but i had alot of issues with Chace's health.
He stopped eating for around 2 weeks, and only now am i getting him back on track.. altho he only seems to eat dead roaches :S.. Vet said the MVB that are from China, like the Aussie sun arnt good at all, and he had seen a 60% rise of reptiles comming in with head cancers, caused by the MVB..

Havent tried the Megaray that everyone is so wraped up about?
Its tempting to try i must admit, but i think, expecialy with melbourne weather, it would be hard to control the temps as you cant have them on a thermostat.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i dont know if yall can get it in australia but the best MVB that i personally have used is the Trex. I use the TRex 100 watt in 4 of my 6 tanks (the other 2 are hagen solar glo, i had replaced all my TRex bulbs with these but they continuously blow and i never had a TRex blow on me).

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Andrewlloyd said:
Western subs? Me too.. Lol where abouts!
I think i may try the repticarpet, i think i have some laying around somewhere..

I'm in Sunshine mate, where abouts are you??

Andrewlloyd said:
Where do you get the solarglo from?
Ive actualy used the Aussie sun from Brian, but i had alot of issues with Chace's health.
He stopped eating for around 2 weeks, and only now am i getting him back on track.. altho he only seems to eat dead roaches :S.. Vet said the MVB that are from China, like the Aussie sun arnt good at all, and he had seen a 60% rise of reptiles comming in with head cancers, caused by the MVB..

I get my solarglo from Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverly on Springvale road ($70 last time i got one). I have never heard of a case of the MVBs from Brian causing cancer. The only issue i have ever had with them is the ballast don't last as long.

Andrewlloyd said:
Havent tried the Megaray that everyone is so wraped up about?
Its tempting to try i must admit, but i think, expecialy with melbourne weather, it would be hard to control the temps as you cant have them on a thermostat.

Their a bit pricey here $95 bucks a pop from Matt at Hoppers. If you get an MVB i would just leave it on the whole time and lower the basking platform they need to be a max 30 cm close to it anyway so the temps should be fine for the basking surface at that distance. It's easy nice and clean looking and no need for additional lightsources like flouros (notice on mine i only have an MVB saves on power bills as well). On the hot days all i do is cycle my lights on a timer to go off on the hottest part of the day (i do this every summer). Currently i have mine to go on at 6 am turn off at 12:30 pm and turn back on at 4:30 pm till 8:00 pm then off for the night. Easy automated system just add food and affection really with my set ups. I have all my specimens on the same cycle in summer. Even on the milder summer days like today i don't bother changing them all i do is switch them completely off if i know the day or days (comming into feb) are going to be above 35C.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
i dont know if yall can get it in australia but the best MVB that i personally have used is the Trex. I use the TRex 100 watt in 4 of my 6 tanks (the other 2 are hagen solar glo, i had replaced all my TRex bulbs with these but they continuously blow and i never had a TRex blow on me).

Unfortunately not Bri, I'd be using them as well if i could get them. Occasionally you find powersuns in the shops but the mark up on them is a joke.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the mark up in pet shops on most MVBs is ludicrous. I pay about 45 bux shipped for a trex. A pet shop local to me sells them for 105 lol.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
the mark up in pet shops on most MVBs is ludicrous. I pay about 45 bux shipped for a trex. A pet shop local to me sells them for 105 lol.

Yeah I've thought about getting them online and shipped here but when you add the usually $25-40 USD to get them down under you don't really save much plus it would be too much of a hassle to try and get your money back or a replacement if it breaks in transit.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im from Taylors lakes :)
I go to sunshine a bit though, as my sister lives there and some of my friends, where are you located?

Yeh ive gone through about 3 Aussie suns, first 1 blew within 4 hours of turning it on..

So you think getting a MVB over the tube/basking lights?
They do look nicer, this was mine when i had the Aussie Sun in..
l_3a21e7081cee43aeb9fd6bdc52c9e873.jpg

I dont belive it was Brians bulb specificaly, but some MVB's that are made in China in general.
I just changed it all around as Chace hadn't been eating for over 2 weeks,
I just spent nearly $200 changing it over to what i have now! lol

What do you think the best option for myself is to do?
Go with an MVB or leave what i have, possibly for 6 months until i have to buy a new tube.