• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie never grew and then died

Joigannon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a beardie from the pet store as a hatchling. I neurotically combed the internet, hung out waaaay to long at the local exotic shop, and even got some great advice here. Long story short, I spent around $400 on a front open enclosure, another $250 or so on lighting, I got cricket, meal worms, soldier fly larvae, mustard greens, bell pepper, butternut squash, you name it. I took home twice to a reptile vet. I cleaned his tank every week and gave regular baths. I even bought a laser thermometer to check temps on every spot. What can I say? He burrowed into my heart and all I wanted was to give him the best life possible. About 3 months in, he just stopped growing. I was feeding him regularly, both by hand and free feeding according to his age. Getting him to eat greens was a struggle, but I could trick him with a worm and he’d start munching away. He just never grew (hence the 2 vet visits). Both times, they told me he was active, his bones were strong and he seemed otherwise healthy, apart from his size. I even brought in photos of the setup, temperature readings, and feeding logs. After the second visit, I’d begun to relax a bit after being told that it was probably congenital and that’s what you get from a pet store. The vet recommended I move him back to the smaller 40 gallon tank to give him a little more heat, so I did. And that actually seemed to help. He was eating more, enjoying bathtime, went through another shed, was totally chill about being handled and seemed on the mend. He’d even run to the front of the tank, excited for food or bath when I’d come home. I had high hopes, but he still wasn’t growing.

Suddenly, last weekend, he just fell from his climbing wall in the tank and just laid there. He was 9 months and 20 grams. His eyes had mostly shut and his mouth was hanging open. He was only taking one or two breaths every few minutes. I’d read about brumation, but nothing really seemed right. Besides, he was still young and so small and he had a constant cycle of heat and light. I took him out and held him near the radiator to warm him up. I tried petting and rubbing to get a response, but nothing. I called 20 vets to find an emergency vet who would treat a beardie. Finally found one about 40 minutes away. By the time I’d gotten there, the vet said they couldn’t find a heartbeat. They suggested administering a euthanizing agent just to make sure he was at rest. I lost it, broke down, hysterical. I’ve never owned a beardie before, but I’d just fallen in love with the little guy. Now I find myself combing the internet to figure out what happened. Did I do something wrong? Was it something congenital? Was there something more I could have done? I just wish I knew what happened. It was so sudden and unexpected and I’m so heartbroken now. I’d love to give another guy a home, but I’m afraid I’ll kill it. I’ve cared for many animals in my life, even rescued a stray baby deer, but I’ve never experienced anything like this. Honestly, I’m just really looking for insight to know if there’s something I could have done differently. Sorry for the long post, I’m just at such a loss. I genuinely loved him, even after only 9 months. I guess I just need closure.

Attachments

• FA0C560A-65FD-454F-A0D5-8DD92E1D6E52.jpeg
    FA0C560A-65FD-454F-A0D5-8DD92E1D6E52.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • B31F1FC0-217C-4571-AE6C-869AD8D2F177.jpeg
    B31F1FC0-217C-4571-AE6C-869AD8D2F177.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 9ECB6B3B-4543-403B-B98E-40FD4EDE57B4.jpeg
    9ECB6B3B-4543-403B-B98E-40FD4EDE57B4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got a beardie from the pet store as a hatchling. I neurotically combed the internet, hung out waaaay to long at the local exotic shop, and even got some great advice here. Long story short, I spent around $400 on a front open enclosure, another $250 or so on lighting, I got cricket, meal worms, soldier fly larvae, mustard greens, bell pepper, butternut squash, you name it. I took home twice to a reptile vet. I cleaned his tank every week and gave regular baths. I even bought a laser thermometer to check temps on every spot. What can I say? He burrowed into my heart and all I wanted was to give him the best life possible. About 3 months in, he just stopped growing. I was feeding him regularly, both by hand and free feeding according to his age. Getting him to eat greens was a struggle, but I could trick him with a worm and he’d start munching away. He just never grew (hence the 2 vet visits). Both times, they told me he was active, his bones were strong and he seemed otherwise healthy, apart from his size. I even brought in photos of the setup, temperature readings, and feeding logs. After the second visit, I’d begun to relax a bit after being told that it was probably congenital and that’s what you get from a pet store. The vet recommended I move him back to the smaller 40 gallon tank to give him a little more heat, so I did. And that actually seemed to help. He was eating more, enjoying bathtime, went through another shed, was totally chill about being handled and seemed on the mend. He’d even run to the front of the tank, excited for food or bath when I’d come home. I had high hopes, but he still wasn’t growing.

Suddenly, last weekend, he just fell from his climbing wall in the tank and just laid there. He was 9 months and 20 grams. His eyes had mostly shut and his mouth was hanging open. He was only taking one or two breaths every few minutes. I’d read about brumation, but nothing really seemed right. Besides, he was still young and so small and he had a constant cycle of heat and light. I took him out and held him near the radiator to warm him up. I tried petting and rubbing to get a response, but nothing. I called 20 vets to find an emergency vet who would treat a beardie. Finally found one about 40 minutes away. By the time I’d gotten there, the vet said they couldn’t find a heartbeat. They suggested administering a euthanizing agent just to make sure he was at rest. I lost it, broke down, hysterical. I’ve never owned a beardie before, but I’d just fallen in love with the little guy. Now I find myself combing the internet to figure out what happened. Did I do something wrong? Was it something congenital? Was there something more I could have done? I just wish I knew what happened. It was so sudden and unexpected and I’m so heartbroken now. I’d love to give another guy a home, but I’m afraid I’ll kill it. I’ve cared for many animals in my life, even rescued a stray baby deer, but I’ve never experienced anything like this. Honestly, I’m just really looking for insight to know if there’s something I could have done differently. Sorry for the long post, I’m just at such a loss. I genuinely loved him, even after only 9 months. I guess I just need closure.
I am sorry I can't get your pics up now-- I will when my internet comes back up terrible thunderstorm- I am so sorry to hear about your dragon- it's heartbreaking I know been there done that 2 times- let's go over the uvb you were using coil or a long tube ? Maybe I can help - or at least try- it's possible he was not healthy when you got him - genetics could be a factor- what brand of uvb and bulb?

Rachelw71

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am so sorry for your loss!! I recently experienced the same thing with my 2 yr old baby girl Lilly! She was doing pretty well, had a bit of mbd which I was working with my vet to treat. And then one day she started getting pale, and shrunken eyes, and moving sideways, acting like she had to poop and was stuck. So I kept trying to soak her and help her not knowing what was going on. Kept hydrating her. Made an appointment with my vet and gave her some water the next morning and her eye opened a half way because it was mostly closed for the 24 hrs. And kissed her and told her to hang on for momma I was going to take her to the vets. But while I was at work my husband had come home early and told me she was gone. I cried hysterically!! My heart was completely broken!! She was my companion, my angel bug! I kept saying No!! I got home and she was gone! I’m devastated! I cried all the way to the vets for confirmation and they told me it was the type of gout that attached to her organs, the “pee” (can’t think of the word) that goes through the kidneys crystallizes. And that it’s genetic and I did everything right. There was nothing I could’ve done. I do understand how much you get attached! They have awesome, loving personalities! I miss her every day! It still hurts so much! If you need to talk please message me! I’m sorry for my really long post but your post struck a chord with me. Prayers for your healing. Rachel