• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beardie lethargic and eating less :( help!!!

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
hi, i have a 2 year old beardie that i adopted 6 months ago. He was doing fine, but suddenly, he started to sleep more. He has good UVB lighting and it hasn't been 6 months yet since it has started to have been used. The basking spot temp is about 100 degrees farenheit. I have him on bioactive substrate (50% topsoil, 30% sand, 20% coco fiber). I don't have the cleaners yet. i am getting them soon. Also, he won't really move unless I lure him with superworms. He has a staple feeder insect of superworms. He used to really like the super worms and run to them, but he is acting lazy now and not moving until the superworm is close to him. I have given him baths, which make him a bit more awake and makes him go to the bathroom. I give him veggies daily, usually turnip, mustard, or collard greens. He is eating turnip right now. He doesn't really eat them well though (he never liked veggies). Please help!!!!

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
I am not sure on the substrate so I have asked on another forum----- please post pics of your tank and lighting ----- I am thinking it has some thing to do w/ your lighting in the tank
kaylyn
heres the photos. The reptisun uvb that i have is 26 watts. I couldn't find a good pic of the 26 watt... IMG_9341.jpegIMG_9342.jpegIMG_9343.jpegIMG_9344.jpegIMG_9345.jpegIMG_9346.jpegIMG_9347.jpegIMG_9348.jpeg

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thanks for the pics --- they say alot!!!!!!!!!!! First I would get rid of the coil UVB ----- they are really no good and do not prevent MBD!! Here is what should be in the tank
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- Please change out ASAP----
What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun? digital probes? stick ons?
When he moves are his moves normal is he dragging legs etc? He will need some decor for him to climb on so he can get to his basking area------------- shop Petsmart or look on line ---they have nice decor but they are spend --- you are going to haft to spend some money to get this tank correct for him to be healthy and its got to start w/ a better UVB --- the one you have now is making him sick and you dont even know it-- I am going to post pics of the UVB you need to get
Best UVB Bulb #1: Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB (Fluorescent Light)
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwiM-p_98dXjAhUDlawKHWxsApMQ9aACCHk&adurl=
this is the hood--- the link wont post go to ebay and search Reptisun T 8 hood I found one there for $25
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...UKEwjXsfu29NXjAhUFTKwKHXLrBr8Q9aACCL8B&adurl=
here is the bulbhttps://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-t8-reptisun-100-uvb/dp/126591?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfen_fHV4wIVEb7ACh3PPAh0EAQYASABEgLQfvD_BwE
Your basking bulb is good but you really need a accurate basking temp - hes and adult it should be 95-105 --- he needs a gradient like different spots that he can sit at different temps --- here is a pic of my tank --
AF1QipNHiN__zoDgazOHkWc7ho8qBH9V7Mcit-kvQnZm=s512-p-qv=p5iihc4278ol148ot2m267h99n2ncvrh5,m=128809b95c5eefcd57fe5c1937c8fbe2,x=,t=25-iv1006

Most of the decor came from Petsmart--- the tile came from Home Depot-- How big is your tank? What kind of bugs are you feeding him? He should have live protein 2/3 time per week dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins alternating them ----- I am guessing your guy is developing MBD if hes not moving around --- that would be lack of calcium from lack of UVB---- please change out the coil w/ the tube you will notice a difference right away in his behavior and invest in some good decor for the tank --- I am not hot on the substrate and have asked about that and will get back w/ you on it -- I know coconut fiber is toxic to dragons - some thing to do w/ the dust etc....................... same w/ walnut shell also toxic ---- please ask if you have any more questions
kaylyn
I am actually going on a vacation with my family on monday and won't be coming back for two weeks.... I am having someone come to change his food and check on my beardie. Will he be ok? Can I replace the bulb after I come back? I do not think I can change it before I leave... :( :(. I am using a reptile probe to measure the temperature, and if I higher the basking area, it will get up to around 110 degrees farenheit. Also, I got the info on the bioactive substrate from an expierenced bioactive substrate user that used to use this forum (I forgot his username).

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thanks for the pics --- they say alot!!!!!!!!!!! First I would get rid of the coil UVB ----- they are really no good and do not prevent MBD!! Here is what should be in the tank
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- Please change out ASAP----
What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun? digital probes? stick ons?
When he moves are his moves normal is he dragging legs etc? He will need some decor for him to climb on so he can get to his basking area------------- shop Petsmart or look on line ---they have nice decor but they are spend --- you are going to haft to spend some money to get this tank correct for him to be healthy and its got to start w/ a better UVB --- the one you have now is making him sick and you dont even know it-- I am going to post pics of the UVB you need to get
Best UVB Bulb #1: Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB (Fluorescent Light)
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwiM-p_98dXjAhUDlawKHWxsApMQ9aACCHk&adurl=
this is the hood--- the link wont post go to ebay and search Reptisun T 8 hood I found one there for $25
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...UKEwjXsfu29NXjAhUFTKwKHXLrBr8Q9aACCL8B&adurl=
here is the bulbhttps://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-t8-reptisun-100-uvb/dp/126591?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfen_fHV4wIVEb7ACh3PPAh0EAQYASABEgLQfvD_BwE
Your basking bulb is good but you really need a accurate basking temp - hes and adult it should be 95-105 --- he needs a gradient like different spots that he can sit at different temps --- here is a pic of my tank --
AF1QipNHiN__zoDgazOHkWc7ho8qBH9V7Mcit-kvQnZm=s512-p-qv=p5iihc4278ol148ot2m267h99n2ncvrh5,m=128809b95c5eefcd57fe5c1937c8fbe2,x=,t=25-iv1006

Most of the decor came from Petsmart--- the tile came from Home Depot-- How big is your tank? What kind of bugs are you feeding him? He should have live protein 2/3 time per week dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins alternating them ----- I am guessing your guy is developing MBD if hes not moving around --- that would be lack of calcium from lack of UVB---- please change out the coil w/ the tube you will notice a difference right away in his behavior and invest in some good decor for the tank --- I am not hot on the substrate and have asked about that and will get back w/ you on it -- I know coconut fiber is toxic to dragons - some thing to do w/ the dust etc....................... same w/ walnut shell also toxic ---- please ask if you have any more questions
kaylyn
Also, can I do anything that will help him before I leave? My tank is about 50 gallons and I am feeding him super worms for an insect.

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
I have been doing some reading on the post of others on bioactive tanks and it seems there is a lot of maintenance on this type -- are you maintaining the tank and did this person teach you how to maintain the tank ? If you dont keep it right w/ humidity etc................. there could be a lot of issues w/ mold and bacteria growing in the tank causing some serious health issues for the dragon--- if you do not know how to do keep it correctly I would suggest you get rid of it ASAP and use paper towels for now --- you can get some textured non adhesive shelf liner from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for a substrate and keep it clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle its cheap and easy to clean
kaylyn
I am having a little bit of trouble with the humidity, only on the other half without the basking light. For food, I give him collared, mustard, and turnip greens (I get the info from beautifuldragons.com). For the insects I am giving superworms. I am going to get the uvb for my bearded dragon today. should I get the t5 or t8?

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Which ever you can find --- sometimes the T 5's are harder to find just remember to get the hood that fits a T 5 if you go w/ that - it should say on the box T 5 --- the T 5 is a stronger bulb than the T 8 and the T 5 only needs to be replaced once a year - the T 8 every 6 months ---- since he is a adult supers are ok but I would vary his insects to crickets for dubia roaches ---- they are better for him than supers but the roaches are better than all -------------- I would dust them 2-3 times per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins alternating between the 2 --- you can get that at your pet store -- let me know if you can find dubias if you go that route but until you get the lighting straightened out in the tank and temps correct he is not going to eat--- i would consider getting rid of the bioactive substrate ---- I am really concerned about bacteria and mold etc....
kaylyn
I just finished removing the bioactive substrate and setting up his new enclosure. I have dubias at my house right now and I feed those too. He seems to be eating the supers well but not so much on the dubias. I took him out of his cage when I was removing the bioactive and he was moving a bit. He is more active in his new enclosure. I will try to find T5s today. Before I setup the bioactive, he had the same ramp and could get up easily on it. The original owner that kept him for two years had the ramp too, so don't worry about him not being able to climb it.
IMG_9350.jpeg IMG_9351.jpeg

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
If hes having mobility issues I would get him something to easy climb you said ramp but I am not seeing a ramp-- I would look for some better decor for him the shelves I am wondering about - he needs a hide and please look at the store today when you are there ---- Pet Smart has good stuff for them make sure you think big tho ----------------------- and I am so glad you got rid of the bioactive stuff ---- to me they are just to hard to maintain ---- you can look for some textured non adhesive shelf liner at your local home improvement stores --- that would be so much easier to maintain ------------------ it sounds like he has become addicted to the supers and since he is an adult its ok to feed as a staple but he may tire of them and quit eating them just so you know ----- keep trying to feed him the dubias --- little turd I thought he would like them :) -------------so if you get the T 5 this is the distance from his basking spot it needs to be 10-11 inches --- if its the T 8 6-8 inches ---- here are some things you can hang it w/ and it needs to be inside the tank w/ cover off the bulb ------------------ how tall is the tank --- if you get the T 5 it can go on top of screen and you can raise the basking spot so its 10-11 inches from it cover off the bulb ------ if you get the T 8 it has to go inside as the bulb is not as strong as the T 5 and cover off the bulb -------------------
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-C...18:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
let me know how it goes
kaylyn
I have a ton load of those bricks that I use for him. Should I make a little stairway that leads up to the uvb source? He is a little fat so I don't think he would be able to get up there with actual beardie deco. lol

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
If hes having mobility issues I would get him something to easy climb you said ramp but I am not seeing a ramp-- I would look for some better decor for him the shelves I am wondering about - he needs a hide and please look at the store today when you are there ---- Pet Smart has good stuff for them make sure you think big tho ----------------------- and I am so glad you got rid of the bioactive stuff ---- to me they are just to hard to maintain ---- you can look for some textured non adhesive shelf liner at your local home improvement stores --- that would be so much easier to maintain ------------------ it sounds like he has become addicted to the supers and since he is an adult its ok to feed as a staple but he may tire of them and quit eating them just so you know ----- keep trying to feed him the dubias --- little turd I thought he would like them :) -------------so if you get the T 5 this is the distance from his basking spot it needs to be 10-11 inches --- if its the T 8 6-8 inches ---- here are some things you can hang it w/ and it needs to be inside the tank w/ cover off the bulb ------------------ how tall is the tank --- if you get the T 5 it can go on top of screen and you can raise the basking spot so its 10-11 inches from it cover off the bulb ------ if you get the T 8 it has to go inside as the bulb is not as strong as the T 5 and cover off the bulb -------------------
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-C...18:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
let me know how it goes
kaylyn
I have a ton of extra bricks that I use for the basking spot (on the right side of the tank). Can I use those to make a stairway that leads up to the UVB source? I also called mutiple pet stores and they said they only have T8 so I think Ill be getting a T8. Can I just put the hood on top of the cage because if I do, it will be exactly 8 inches away. Is there such way I can make a D.I.Y hide for him? I can use my money for the light but I don't think I'll have enough money to get a hide for him too..... oof. Is cardboard okay?

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Yes a cardboard hide is fine --- bricks I am a little concerned about--- the T 8 will not be strong enough to get thru the screen --- can you take the screen off the tank and use clamps for the basking light? domes usually have clamps w/ them--- how far away is the UVB inside the tank 6-8 inches is good so if its in between that it would be good --- you can look for wood logs outside for decor just make sure it is disinfected first here is a website for that info
https://www.cuteness.com/article/prepare-wood-reptile-tank--
kaylyn
I finally got the light and fixture and put it on the tank!! :) :) :) Cost $100 tho....... :( Thank you for helping my beardie!!!! :) :) ;)
IMG_9354.jpeg IMG_9355.jpeg IMG_9356.jpeg IMG_9357.jpeg

Brittany k

Bearded Dragon Egg