• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie legs keep going limp

HowdyShay

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 6-7 month old female (we think) had her front leg swell up and go limp. We took her to the vet and they xrayed it and there was nothing remarkable on it. She also was lethargic and not eating much at all. The vet gave her an anti inflammatory and that didn’t really help. After 4 days they put her on antibiotics (shots we had to give). After 5 days she perked up and started eating like she was ravenous and using her leg. Swelling was mostly gone. It was in the whole arm not just joints.
We thought she was better. Today the same side back leg is doing it. It’s not swollen it’s just kind of useless.
vet says it’s not MBD. Bone density is great. I asked about gout and she said it didn’t like like gout to her. Anyway we have another appointment Friday. They are going to want to do bloodwork but they aren’t sure they can get enough to use.
Has anyone had this issue or anything like it?
I went through husbandry with my vet. She’san exotic pet vet and vet knowledgeable about reptiles. She said my husbandry was spot on.
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Attachments

• 52B314FC-1892-4848-B210-9B22FA4B5526.jpeg
    52B314FC-1892-4848-B210-9B22FA4B5526.jpeg
    859.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B788C2B7-865B-45B2-B8A6-BFBC5FFFE43D.jpeg
    B788C2B7-865B-45B2-B8A6-BFBC5FFFE43D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My 6-7 month old female (we think) had her front leg swell up and go limp. We took her to the vet and they xrayed it and there was nothing remarkable on it. She also was lethargic and not eating much at all. The vet gave her an anti inflammatory and that didn’t really help. After 4 days they put her on antibiotics (shots we had to give). After 5 days she perked up and started eating like she was ravenous and using her leg. Swelling was mostly gone. It was in the whole arm not just joints.
We thought she was better. Today the same side back leg is doing it. It’s not swollen it’s just kind of useless.
vet says it’s not MBD. Bone density is great. I asked about gout and she said it didn’t like like gout to her. Anyway we have another appointment Friday. They are going to want to do bloodwork but they aren’t sure they can get enough to use.
I went through husbandry with my vet. She’san exotic pet vet and vet knowledgeable about reptiles. She said my husbandry was spot on.
Yikes! Sorry to hear she's having trouble with her leg. If bone looks fine maybe see if vet can check the surrounding muscle? I'm a fairly new mum, but that would be my next question to my vet . . . if it's not the bone, could it be a muscle, nerve, or even a neurological issue? Not even sure beardies have those issues, but I'd ask. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Experts may have some answers. Hope it's nothing serious.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you tell me exactly what UVB your using? Brand and bulb and is it a coil or a tube? Basking temps how are you taking them? I see a hammock - is that her basking spot? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- gout needs to be tested w / blood work --- they read acid levels - although its uncommon for babies to have gout it is possible --- also the hammock has caused a lot of dragons to get their claws stuck and them pulling the claw has caused injury causing the swelling in the leg or claw itself --- do you think that is possible she has done this ? And giving antibiotics w/ out knowing of a infection is kinda senseless to me but I am not a vet either -- does she normally see bearded dragons? So the front leg was swollen first and now the back leg?

HowdyShay

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using an Arcadia T8 linear inside the enclosure. Basking temps are 100-112 taken with a probe. The hammock is her basking spot. She used to have to woven hammock and we were concerned that was what happened to her leg the first time so I got the cloth one. It's a very tight weave, almost waterproof so I don't think her nail got stuck this time. It was her front leg and it was swollen and limp then it got better now its her front and back at the same time but without the swelling.
The vet is very well versed in Bearded dragons and actually owns one as well. She basically was afraid to get blood work due to Stevie's size and concern that it wouldn't be enough with what she could safely draw. She will most likely do bloodwork this time because she's out of other options. It's like a semi paralyzed state. The limb has no strength and she won't put any pressure on it. She can move it to a degree but not like the other limbs. She's become pretty lethargic again as well.
I worry she's under the heat too long because she doesn't leave her basking area.

HowdyShay

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you tell me exactly what UVB your using? Brand and bulb and is it a coil or a tube? Basking temps how are you taking them? I see a hammock - is that her basking spot? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- gout needs to be tested w / blood work --- they read acid levels - although its uncommon for babies to have gout it is possible --- also the hammock has caused a lot of dragons to get their claws stuck and them pulling the claw has caused injury causing the swelling in the leg or claw itself --- do you think that is possible she has done this ? And giving antibiotics w/ out knowing of a infection is kinda senseless to me but I am not a vet either -- does she normally see bearded dragons? So the front leg was swollen first and now the back leg?
I thought I hit reply but I guess I didn't. The answer is above. Sorry.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought I hit reply but I guess I didn't. The answer is above. Sorry.
Great bulb is the basking area directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches -- I would advise you move her to a tote a 10 gallon -- set it up like this since she is having the leg issues -- she needs to be able to access the lights over her so shes sitting directly under them -- the T 8 still needs to be 6-8 inches directly over her -- you want a ramp type basking decor like a shelf so she can lay under the lights -- basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe --- what ever is going on that UVB is very important --- you can try cutting a shoe box so its got a slant on it and the bottom would be the shelf type -- place a dish towel over it for her to get traction --- it sounds like the vet is a good one so many of the them are hard to find --- if shes doing blood work make sure they check for uric acid for gout --- that would be the only way to tell if she indeed does have gout -- her being lethargic does not sound good -- what are her basking temps now?

Attachments

• Hospital tank.jpg
    Hospital tank.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4

HowdyShay

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok. I will do that. She's headed to the vet this afternoon so we'll see if they have any revelations. I have been mentioning gout to the vet since I took here the first time.
Her basking temp is 108 currently.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I will do that. She's headed to the vet this afternoon so we'll see if they have any revelations. I have been mentioning gout to the vet since I took here the first time.
Her basking temp is 108 currently.
Ok make sure she is staying hydrated --- if shes eating salads you can rinse them before serving -- is she eating at all ?