• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Exercise Set Up

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got a rescue beardie from a friend. He mentioned she runs back and forth a lot in her tank, so after she settles in I want to get her out of her tank and see if she'll run around on the floor with more space (friend gave me a 40 gallon with her, I plan to upgrade ASAP). Problem is I have carpet most everywhere in the house.

That being said; do you think cardboard would be okay to put on top of the carpet for her to run on? My thought is to put down cardboard surrounded by moveable fencing, so she'd be on top of the cardboard the entire time. My other thought was one of those plastic mats for office chairs, but cardboard is much cheaper and easier to dispose of. If anyone has any better ideas I'd be open to them as well!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got a rescue beardie from a friend. He mentioned she runs back and forth a lot in her tank, so after she settles in I want to get her out of her tank and see if she'll run around on the floor with more space (friend gave me a 40 gallon with her, I plan to upgrade ASAP). Problem is I have carpet most everywhere in the house.

That being said; do you think cardboard would be okay to put on top of the carpet for her to run on? My thought is to put down cardboard surrounded by moveable fencing, so she'd be on top of the cardboard the entire time. My other thought was one of those plastic mats for office chairs, but cardboard is much cheaper and easier to dispose of. If anyone has any better ideas I'd be open to them as well!
Cardboard is too slippery - the glass surfing is telling me the tank is too small or the lighting is off --- she should not be running the tank constantly and eventually settle down - the tank could be too hot so what is the basking temp and how are you getting those temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate------------ UVB what are you using brand and bulb coil or a tube fixture? Those two things I asked about are the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IN THE TANK --- NO colored bulbs and NO heat mats

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
A lot of cardboard varieties tear easily and may be slippery, and if she poops on it there's no way to clean it. It could work, but if you plan to make a long-term setup you may want to invest in something more durable. In my opinion, a chair mat would be more sanitary and easy to use. Make sure to get a textured one so it's easier for her to exercise.

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
Cardboard is too slippery - the glass surfing is telling me the tank is too small or the lighting is off --- she should not be running the tank constantly and eventually settle down - the tank could be too hot so what is the basking temp and how are you getting those temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate------------ UVB what are you using brand and bulb coil or a tube fixture? Those two things I asked about are the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IN THE TANK --- NO colored bulbs and NO heat mats

I just got her today. Her tank is definitely small at 40 gallons (came with her), so I'm saving up for a larger one. I did add some paper to the sides and it seems to have calmed her down a bit. Cool side is 78-80, warm is 91-92 - I have digital probe thermometers in there. Humidity is good too. UVB is a coil because that's what I got with her today, again - plans to replace it with a tube ASAP. Even "calmed down" she's still actively exploring, which is why I think getting her out and exercised may be good enrichment.

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
A lot of cardboard varieties tear easily and may be slippery, and if she poops on it there's no way to clean it. It could work, but if you plan to make a long-term setup you may want to invest in something more durable. In my opinion, a chair mat would be more sanitary and easy to use. Make sure to get a textured one so it's easier for her to exercise.
I didn't think about how slippery cardboard is, good point. She'll need the texture for sure - she is slightly shaky/slide-y due to mild MBD (from before she was rescued.) Now to see how textured they make floor mats. Or how to make them textured.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't think about how slippery cardboard is, good point. She'll need the texture for sure - she is slightly shaky/slide-y due to mild MBD (from before she was rescued.) Now to see how textured they make floor mats. Or how to make them textured.
Please get a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ASAP------ if she has mild MBD you want to stop it from progressing any further and it will continue to get worse w/ the coil UVB ---- they are inadequate all together ----- tis is what you want w/ her having MBD
You can see if you can find it cheaper else where my go to places are out of stock --- she needs the stronger bulb I recommend you dont get a T 8 especially if your upgrading the tank -- the 24" will go right into your next tank but you need this bulb now --- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it -- it can be used for back up if you ever need one but please get this ordered now -- I can help you place it in the tank when it comes placement and distance is crucial
why dont you want her on the carpet?

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ASAP------ if she has mild MBD you want to stop it from progressing any further and it will continue to get worse w/ the coil UVB ---- they are inadequate all together ----- tis is what you want w/ her having MBD
You can see if you can find it cheaper else where my go to places are out of stock --- she needs the stronger bulb I recommend you dont get a T 8 especially if your upgrading the tank -- the 24" will go right into your next tank but you need this bulb now --- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it -- it can be used for back up if you ever need one but please get this ordered now -- I can help you place it in the tank when it comes placement and distance is crucial
why dont you want her on the carpet?
I currently have a Reptisun 10.0 CFL on her. Getting the T5 is the first thing on my list to update now that she's mine.

And I've read carpet strings/fibers can wrap around beardie fingers and cut off circulation. This actually happened to both my sisters rabbit and my hedgehog (we think - they both ended up with foot issues where this was the likely cause). My current carpet is pretty thick pile too, so it makes me even more paranoid.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I currently have a Reptisun 10.0 CFL on her. Getting the T5 is the first thing on my list to update now that she's mine.

And I've read carpet strings/fibers can wrap around beardie fingers and cut off circulation. This actually happened to both my sisters rabbit and my hedgehog (we think - they both ended up with foot issues where this was the likely cause). My current carpet is pretty thick pile too, so it makes me even more paranoid.
She should be fine-- I let mine run on the carpet- just make sure you supervise her when she's out

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Use bed sheets to spread all over the house but if she’s healthy it’s ok to run around carpet just make sure u vacuum and pic up anything off the floors so they don’t eat it. Also they reason she’s jumping in the cage is she’s stressed out and needs more room. Go to Carolina custom cages and order a 120 gallon which is 4feet long 2feet high Amd 2feet deep that’s the minimum tank they should be in. Also make sure the temps are correct and himdity & they need proper UVB, most people use wrong UVb; u need a clear zoomed basking bulb; never ever use colored or coiled bulbs and a UVB (Reptisun 10.0 T5) long tubular bulb u can order from Amazon or Carolina custom cages. This is the best & most recommended for Beardies. The length U order should cover 70 percent of the tank and place it in the back beginning at the hot side and basking bulb on the hot side in front of that. And get a hideaway typically a hammock to place behind the basking platform/bulb and 6inches or more below the uvb light because they can’t be too close to the UVB and place a soft cloth over the hammock so she has a hideaway underneath to get away from the UVB light when needed. In the winter leave the Heat and uvb on for 10-12 hours more like 10 or 10.5 and in the summer 12-14 hours more like 14hours. They have more energy in the summer. Remove any Sand substrate they ingest & it destroys their tummy; use white terry cloth towels as a substrate is beat; u can buy a bag from Home Depot. Never ever feed meal worms, only crickets and Dubia roaches, and always a plate of fresh greens/veggies They can munch on all day & place it on the cold side and switch it mid day so it’s fresh. They can have hornworms & super worms as treats a few times a week if he’s over a year old; never sooner cuz their digestive tract cannot handle it under a year of age; but don’t feed too many, cuz they are high in fat. U need a digital themowmter & digital hygrometer, they are $10 Amd the most accurate ones. Temp for adults is 95-98 at 11mnths old and up. And humidity always should be 30-40 never ever higher than 40 if it’s less than 30 u can place a bigger water bowl in the tank. The best everyday greens/veggies are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, endives, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas and geeen beans. Do 2-3 of each everyday squash has a lot of calcium which they need. Also dust the prtiems 3times a week once per day with repcal which is calcium powder make sure it’s phosphorous free and Herptivite vitamin powder once per week per day on the non calcium days. Also baths twice owe week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum; if u don’t have a filter system then buy REPTISAFE it’s drops I place in the bathing and drinking water;) chlorine dries out and destroys their skin. If they are shedding do more baths it helps with itching and it helps the skin fall off faster.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
I let my baby run on my carpet and explore my room, she is fine lol loves jumping on my stuffed animals :) But i just watch her and let her roam around

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I let my baby run on my carpet and explore my room, she is fine lol loves jumping on my stuffed animals :) But i just watch her and let her roam around
Okay, good to know! I plan to take her out tomorrow and see how she does. I didn't think about something like a stuffed animal, that's fun.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just make sure the heater in the house is blasting or u olace her back after an hour or so they need uvb and heat. I have an 80 watt powersun with a stand when I let her out I place her upstairs in a padded cat bed and she looks too the window and basks under the powersun Amd can climb down if she wants I have pillows as a ramp u have to be creative but keep them with uvb and heat or an hour without or so is ok

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Having some kind of heat bulb in there is a good idea if you're going to keep her in there for several hours a day. It doesn't have to be a super fancy setup, just putting a brick or rock under a heat lamp works fine.

You can use empty oatmeal canisters or cardboard boxes as tunnels, some loose substrate to dig in, some kind of treat ball or puzzle toy, a laser pointer, etc. to encourage exploring and exercise while she's in the exercise pen. Good luck with your setup, it sounds like a really cool concept!