• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie digging in the substrate

Georgie2nd

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi any advice on why my bearded dragon is digging around in his substrate and covering his food and water bowls also he's not eating his crickets either

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Well, if you aren’t aware, using sand as a substrate is highly discouraged. It can easily be swallowed which can cause impaction. Beardies may either lick sand or get it on their food or in their water and consume it that way.
I recommend you replace your sand ASAP with either reptile carpet or a tile substitute. I’m adding a picture of my tank as an example. I purchased this linoleum substitute at Home Depot.

If your beardie continues not to eat after you switch out the sand, there is a chance they may be impacted from consuming it and you should take them to the vet. Also check if its poop seems irregular.

Attachments

• F7FF5096-9241-4F93-9280-8D598D8E8714.jpeg
    F7FF5096-9241-4F93-9280-8D598D8E8714.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126

Lyss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your bearded dragon is definitely a boy right? I was just reading about females digging around their enclosures when they are ready to lay eggs?

Nelsonwe3

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with the above. Any loose substrate is bad for bearded dragons it can cause impaction. Are you 100% sure that your bearded dragon is a boy. Female bearded dragons will dig and not eat before laying eggs they will lay eggs whether they are around male bearded dragons or not.

Robert 245

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi any advice on why my bearded dragon is digging around in his substrate and covering his food and water bowls also he's not eating his crickets either
Are you sure it's a boy and if you are sure your dragon could be trying to brumate

Cindy Hartman

Bearded Dragon Egg
1.In the wild, Beardies will dig in the dirt or sand when they are getting rested. 2.you may have a female & she may be ready to lay eggs 3.could be brumating.please please get rid of the loose substrate,it will compact him & if you don't know then you will lose him/her.Use tile,black& white newspaper,paperto paper or repti carpet.this is one of my set ups

Attachments

• 20190222_024859.jpg
    20190222_024859.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54

BeardedEmber

Bearded Dragon Egg
It was recommended for my tank to use cocoa bark, Ember loves it. She hated the tile because she slid when trying to walk around. The cocoa bark is soft and she can move it around to her comfort. I also mixed it with cocoa dirt. She had sand as a baby, no one told me it was discouraged for a long time. When I was told that, I asked her vet and he said if she eats her sand she's a stupid beardie, lol. Luckily, we didn't hit impaction. But she seems to like the cocoa. Hope ur lil dude is alright.
15509374113263070845730534352027.jpg

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
It was recommended for my tank to use cocoa bark, Ember loves it. She hated the tile because she slid when trying to walk around. The cocoa bark is soft and she can move it around to her comfort. I also mixed it with cocoa dirt. She had sand as a baby, no one told me it was discouraged for a long time. When I was told that, I asked her vet and he said if she eats her sand she's a stupid beardie, lol. Luckily, we didn't hit impaction. But she seems to like the cocoa. Hope ur lil dude is alright. View attachment 19737
I’ve heard and see bark/wood cause fatal respiratory issues for beardies :( please be careful

BeardedEmber

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve heard and see bark/wood cause fatal respiratory issues for beardies :( please be careful

Even the cocoa bark? I would understand if there were particles of dust flying about, but that's not the case. Please, if u have any more info, I'm all ears. Only want the best for my bebe.

Jacob melanistic

Juvenile Dragon
he could be trying to thermoregulate. if the temp is not right, too hot or cold, he could be trying to bury himself to cool down or retain heat. they do that often in the wild. try lightly misting his enclosure once every morning. then make sure the temp is perfect. he should bounce right back in no time!