• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie depressed?

mushumyboi

Bearded Dragon Egg
My for the past months my dragon has been increasingly apathetic. He won’t eat any crickets, just mealworms and hornworms if I hand feed them to him. Ive tried all different types of food including premade ones you can buy at pet stores, veggies and fruits, mushed veggies and fruits, baby food, etc. nada. He sleeps all day and rarely moves.
We already took him to the vet and solved any issues that may be making him not want to eat.
I’m very worried that he’s going to die soon and I’m ridden with guilt. How do I solve this issue?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, firstly, you do not need to panic. This behaviour is common and indeed it can be worrying the first time it happens. Beardies start to slow down at this time of year as they prepare to go into brumation. Even juveniles that are too young to brumate slow down and go into a semi brumation. This will involve loss of appetite, lethargy and perhaps sleeping for extended periods (sometimes several weeks).
If a vet has already checked for parasites then this is probably what it is. Keep on offering food even if it isnt being eaten, when he does eventually get hungry its good to have food there in advance. Keep a record of your beardies weight over the next month, even though he isnt eating his weight shouldnt be dropping too rapidly. He has built up reserves which he is using, in the case of a juvenile they wont last too long and he will need to eat soon enough. In the meantime there is no point trying to force him to eat unless he starts dropping weight rapidly.

mushumyboi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey y’all, this is his setup. I know there are lots of lights, but thats as many as I need to keep it up to 70-90°
I will definitely make sure the temperature is correct. Brumation seems like the likely answer, I just didn’t know they could be sleeping for that long. Thanks everyone x

Attachments

• 014AFC7D-1A10-4F00-A0FF-17E17E9C0138.jpeg
    014AFC7D-1A10-4F00-A0FF-17E17E9C0138.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are you using for UVB? if 1 of those is your UVB coil bulbs are bad on their eyes and don't produce enough UVB. You really need to get a tube style bulb set up for example Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 that could be a big reason your dragon is lethargic and not wanting to eat. Also daytime basking temps for a juv should be up around 98-100.. You should get rid of the red heat bulb as those damage their pupils and no color bulbs should be used day or night.
If all of those are spot on and your dragon continues then brummation as it is the season for that.. Healthy dragons can go MONTHS I know 1 that slept for 6 months..their bodies slow way down making that possible.

mushumyboi

Bearded Dragon Egg
You are a god send! I will do that.
What are you using for UVB? if 1 of those is your UVB coil bulbs are bad on their eyes and don't produce enough UVB. You really need to get a tube style bulb set up for example Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 that could be a big reason your dragon is lethargic and not wanting to eat. Also daytime basking temps for a juv should be up around 98-100.. You should get rid of the red heat bulb as those damage their pupils and no color bulbs should be used day or night.
If all of those are spot on and your dragon continues then brummation as it is the season for that.. Healthy dragons can go MONTHS I know 1 that slept for 6 months..their bodies slow way down making that possible.

TJMatthews

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone know if a BD will go into a brumation state in eastern Ohio? My beardie is lethargic as well for no apparent reason. Her lights, temps, etc are all good!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I know this is a sad answer but,....it varies from dragon to dragon, no matter where you live. Some do, some don't brumate at all, but most will slow down at some point in the year.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think that in the wild, all beardies will brumate, they have to because of weather, food availability etc. Captive beardies don't need to brumate, they have constant temperatures, constant food and they probably feel safe enough not to need to. But it must be a biological imperative that is always tugging at them when their little brains tell them its time.
I dont think not brumating harms them at all, but they need to slow down and stop taking in nutrition in order to use up the reserves they have stored for brumation. Not eating for long periods of time doesnt seem to bother them at all. Eventually they get active again and just go on like nothing happened.
Lol, they are amusing, mystifying little critters. Gotta love em'

TJMatthews

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think that in the wild, all beardies will brumate, they have to because of weather, food availability etc. Captive beardies don't need to brumate, they have constant temperatures, constant food and they probably feel safe enough not to need to. But it must be a biological imperative that is always tugging at them when their little brains tell them its time.
I dont think not brumating harms them at all, but they need to slow down and stop taking in nutrition in order to use up the reserves they have stored for brumation. Not eating for long periods of time doesnt seem to bother them at all. Eventually they get active again and just go on like nothing happened.
Lol, they are amusing, mystifying little critters. Gotta love em'
Thank you!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does anyone know if a BD will go into a brumation state in eastern Ohio? My beardie is lethargic as well for no apparent reason. Her lights, temps, etc are all good!
If your dragon is a year to a year and a half and all other husbandry and health is good then yes either a partial or full brumation is likely the reason. Beardies go on their own schedule but typically Fall/winter when in nature resources are limited they brumate