• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon's Natural Diet

Condrapython

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a german giant bearded dragon, He decided one day to Bolt off my leg and attack one of our egg eater snakes that we had on the floor while cleaning thier cage. As soon as he attacked the egg eater he start eating it. If i walk past the snake cages all he want to do is go for the snakes. Is this a normal behaviour and are snakes part of their diet in the wild
?

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies are opportunistic feeders. I'm sure if snakes, lizards, birds, crustaceans, or whatever, can be overpowered be a beardie, it'll eat it :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i agree with TheVirus however, just because the beardie will eat it, doesnt make it safe/healthy for them to eat

HUNTEQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In Australia, which is where they are originally from, they eat crickets, multiple worms, many kinds of plants, insects, they are what we are classified as which is omnivores, which means, we eat both plants and meat. If the snake is MUCH SMALLER and is FROM Australia, as well as the area where they come from, it should be okay, but the thing is, is that we have changed their diet, the terms and species that we have created are like domesticated dogs, THEY ARE NOT NATURAL. The term GERMAN bearded dragon means that it was bred in Germany, like the FANCY bearded dragon was breded for shows, the original bearded dragons from Australia, the Australian Bearded Dragons are up to THREE feet long and are extremely fat and VERY DARK if not black. But really, don't let him eat things like snakes or anything like that.