• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bearded dragons and cultures

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i wanted to write this topic because it really affects me. I went to the store one day and because I was african american I was looked at different because I guess alot of people think that having herps is for only one race ( I was also in petco looking for supplies). Growing up my dad was in to ranch type animals like cows,horses,chickens,ect,etc. I grew up watching animal planet , and that fueled my love for animals. I soon found my favorite species or kindom and it was herps. Growing up all my friends and family thought I was weird because I loved animal and said I was trying to be white but I didn't care. Basicaly what I'm trying to say is no matter what race or culture if you have love for herps I think that people should accept you and if they can't it doesn't matter because at the end of the day it doesn't matter because your herps will.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i wanted to write this topic because it really affects me. I went to the store one day and because I was african american I was looked at different because I guess alot of people think that having herps is for only one race ( I was also in petco looking for supplies). Growing up my dad was in to ranch type animals like cows,horses,chickens,ect,etc. I grew up watching animal planet , and that fueled my love for animals. I soon found my favorite species or kindom and it was herps. Growing up all my friends and family thought I was weird because I loved animal and said I was trying to be white but I didn't care. Basicaly what I'm trying to say is no matter what race or culture if you have love for herps I think that people should accept you and if they can't it doesn't matter because at the end of the day it doesn't matter because your herps will.
I never once thought race was a factor in herp society. Weird. Women aren't supposed to be really into them either, it's supposed to be a guy thing. I grew up playing with snakes and catching lizards though, so I have always had an affinity for them. It's weird how many racial and sexist stigma's there are in our culture that you wouldn't think would be there. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I know I'd tell em all where they could shove it ;).

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I want to connect with people in the herp society that are women and all cultures so that we can come together because if we don't all our environments will die wether it be plants, animals and ecosystems they will die off. I havemet plenty of women that are alot better at herpotology than men and I'm sure alot will agree with me. Until today alot of people on here didn't know that I was african decent ,but I love my herps and no matter what sex you are and race you should do what you love most

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I want to connect with people in the herp society that are women and all cultures so that we can come together because if we don't all our environments will die wether it be plants, animals and ecosystems they will die off. I havemet plenty of women that are alot better at herpotology than men and I'm sure alot will agree with me. Until today alot of people on here didn't know that I was african decent ,but I love my herps and no matter what sex you are and race you should do what you love most
Never would have thought to ask. I try to be as color blind as possible and have raised my kids that way as well. Don't want to make exceptions or exclusions based on race, sex, orientation, gender, religion, or whatever other hate you can bring on. I'm glad you're following what your heart tells you to do and not what your particular culture tells you is the way things should be. The evolution of mankind depends on these boundaries dropping and us becoming one big happy family.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
aleena i like what you just said and maybe we should link up because their are so many people that only see one way. if they see all kinds of people connecting and coming together to do business and also make this world better it will make the world a better place . I have a daughter that is 13 months and I want her to love everybody no matter what.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We go through the same thing here, my wife is First Nations & we go through the discrimination & prejudices all the time. Have found to consider the source & ignore it. Have also found that reverse discrimination is just as bad or worse, though. Lived on the reserve for a couple of years (Try that sometime), started driving the School Bus, the parents wouldn't send their kids on the Bus because I was a different color. They are also much more physical about their dislike of other cultures. So it works both ways. Personally I don't give a crap, People are People, we all bleed Red. Also have never even considered nor have I seen it in the Herp Society.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
aleena i like what you just said and maybe we should link up because their are so many people that only see one way. if they see all kinds of people connecting and coming together to do business and also make this world better it will make the world a better place . I have a daughter that is 13 months and I want her to love everybody no matter what.
Link up? I'm already following you :p that's the same as a friend request in this forum.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The individuality of cultures is what makes this world such a beautiful place, however, greed & ignorance will always be there to tarnish it. I just live my life and "Do the Right Thing'';)

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Thats ridiculous! :eek: i can't believe society thinks that way, i never once thought that owning a certain type of pet was not acceptable for some cultures. Don't let people tell you any differently, live what you love :)