• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Swallowed Yarn

Beedrill

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone,

I hate that my first post on here is going to be begging for health advice, but here it is.
Well I had my adult Female Beardy out on the floor and she made a mad dash for a piece of red yarn about an inch, maybe an inch and a half long. I tried desperately to pull it out of her mouth, but she just swallowed faster.

Should I be worried?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure she is hydrated and watch the poop for it's passing. If she doesn't poop or if she starts acting weird, she'll need a vet ASAP. Also remember, when she does poop it out, if it looks stuck, do not pull it out. Pulling string out of an animals butt could cause damage.

Beedrill

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well she pooped last night. I haven't looked too closely to see if the yarn is in there yet, but the whole poop is almost black, so I'm fairly certain that the dye in the yarn caused that, as I've never seen it come out that color. I'll update tonight to let y'all know.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She pooped so that is the good thing! Means she's not impacted by anything. Just make sure she goes again.

My boy swallowed something a few years ago. He was on the floor running and found something I didn't pick up. By the time I realized what he did, it was already stuck in his pouches so I couldn't get it out. He still had an airway and was alert. I gave him some water to try to help it go down or come out. Eventually after a few hours it did go down. I watched his poop for weeks and never found what it was. Like I literally put on gloves and smashed through the poop! I think it might have been a cat treat that was left on the floor because the area it happened in was an area that the cat got her treats.