• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon seems too weak to open her hands.

Faith Goplin

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently rescued a beardie from a little girl who owned her. She is very lathargic and very very calm, too calm. I noticed when I picked her up that she couldn't open her hands and she felt very stiff. I just need any ideas of what could be wrong before I take her to the vet next week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum,
Glad to hear that you rescued this dragon.. before we can try and help we need more info like pictures, her set up what lighting (basking and UVB) what are her tank temps, what food, substrate, supplements..
Sounds like this one should go to an exotic vet (one that really specializes in reptiles)..sooner if possible..

Faith Goplin

Bearded Dragon Egg
We don't actually have her yet, but the family really didn't tank very great care of her, she only had a heat lamp. The tank was at about 80° f. I get her next week and the first thing I'm doing is taking her to the vet, and when she comes home shells have all the current requirements. While I was at there house I gave them greens, because they didn't know that bearded dragons needed them, along with calcium to hold her over till I can get her. The supstrate was just reptycarpet, I'm thinking it could also be part of the problem, she's only 6 months old, and hasn't felt rocks to grip or anything of that sort.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
Repticarpet is fine and the least of the problems, she needs us light and proper temps.

What had they been feeding her?

Ssanroman99845

Bearded Dragon Egg
If the baby only had a heat lamp she may have metabolic bone disease . A UV light is sooooo important for reptiles.... I hope that’s not the case..
Definitely take her to the vet .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If she can't grip, my guess is that she has MBD. Make sure you get a good UVB light for her and suppliments, calcium with and without D3 and a multivitamin. Get her to a vet ASAP, they will probably start her out with a calcium injection and may even recommend liquid calcium for awhile.