• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon not pooping frequently

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
So this past two months my beardie has not been pooping frequently. he's never been a frequent pooper even when he was younger, but it never seems comfortable for him, he always seems very bloated but has no problem eating, running, or doing any kind of activity. He usually poops every 4-7 days but he is only a year old. I suspect that he isn't eating enough but I am working on getting him to eat more. I also believe crickets are the problem. For example, I noticed he was constipated, last week so I didn't feed him crickets and fed him fewer bugs. After 7 days, he finally pooped! the first time he pooped it was mostly his urate, but the next day he pooped, it was a completely healthy poop! that hasn't happened in months. There was barely a smell and it was not runny. Unfortunately, I had to give him crickets again this week but it is only temporary because I am getting my dubia roach colony started. Also, I would like to mention how much I HATE crickets. Right now he is eating some dubia roaches, BSFL, Silkworms, and crickets. He also eats collard greens, dandelions greens, and some occasional fruit. I would also like to mention that I try to give him natural laxatives to help him poop. I have tried olive oil, baby food prunes, and baths but they all take a while to work. I also don't want using laxatives to be the norm. Sorry for this long, wordy, and potentially gross message but the last thing I want to add is that after he poops he always seems to get very skinny! I have taken the idea of him having parasites off the table because he did get tested, but I was wondering if that is normal? Thank you!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So this past two months my beardie has not been pooping frequently. he's never been a frequent pooper even when he was younger, but it never seems comfortable for him, he always seems very bloated but has no problem eating, running, or doing any kind of activity. He usually poops every 4-7 days but he is only a year old. I suspect that he isn't eating enough but I am working on getting him to eat more. I also believe crickets are the problem. For example, I noticed he was constipated, last week so I didn't feed him crickets and fed him fewer bugs. After 7 days, he finally pooped! the first time he pooped it was mostly his urate, but the next day he pooped, it was a completely healthy poop! that hasn't happened in months. There was barely a smell and it was not runny. Unfortunately, I had to give him crickets again this week but it is only temporary because I am getting my dubia roach colony started. Also, I would like to mention how much I HATE crickets. Right now he is eating some dubia roaches, BSFL, Silkworms, and crickets. He also eats collard greens, dandelions greens, and some occasional fruit. I would also like to mention that I try to give him natural laxatives to help him poop. I have tried olive oil, baby food prunes, and baths but they all take a while to work. I also don't want using laxatives to be the norm. Sorry for this long, wordy, and potentially gross message but the last thing I want to add is that after he poops he always seems to get very skinny! I have taken the idea of him having parasites off the table because he did get tested, but I was wondering if that is normal? Thank you!
What time does he get fed? Ive noticed my beardy wont poo for a couple days if i dont feed her at the right time, what vitamins and supplements is urs getting? And basking spot is up to temp? Most importantly, what are the bugs themselves eating? I have read some do poop once a week, but that cant be healthy in the long run id think..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dragons diet is good --- what is most important for them to poop is the basking temps and the UVB--- those are the biggest factor in getting them to poop -- but it is not uncommon for them to not poop for long periods of time -- that is normal -- keep feeding the diet and make sure your feeding insects every 2-3 days --- basking temps should be 95-100 for a juvie/ adult and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils --- if you need help w/ that please ask --- distance and placement is crucial for the UVB to be effective --- but if hes pooping every 4-7 days that is good --- let him do his thing - he doesnt need laxatives unless hes impacted --

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
The dragons diet is good --- what is most important for them to poop is the basking temps and the UVB--- those are the biggest factor in getting them to poop -- but it is not uncommon for them to not poop for long periods of time -- that is normal -- keep feeding the diet and make sure your feeding insects every 2-3 days --- basking temps should be 95-100 for a juvie/ adult and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils --- if you need help w/ that please ask --- distance and placement is crucial for the UVB to be effective --- but if hes pooping every 4-7 days that is good --- let him do his thing - he doesnt need laxatives unless hes impacted --
Ok thank you! I was hoping this might be a little normal but I was wondering what you meant by feeding him bugs every 2-3 days, do I not feed him bugs every day?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
What time does he get fed? Ive noticed my beardy wont poo for a couple days if i dont feed her at the right time, what vitamins and supplements is urs getting? And basking spot is up to temp? Most importantly, what are the bugs themselves eating? I have read some do poop once a week, but that cant be healthy in the long run id think..
during the summer his schedule isn't as exact but I am working on keeping him more organized. He has calcium supplements with and without d3 and multivitamins. his basking spot temps are 101-105 so I think that is high enough, but I was wondering if there is a way to get him to poop frequently.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you! I was hoping this might be a little normal but I was wondering what you meant by feeding him bugs every 2-3 days, do I not feed him bugs every day?
Wax worms and super worms are treat worms and should be fed occasionally-- you want a staple feeder w/ protein that is not high in fat --- and dragons are going to poop when they poop - forcing them to poop is not good - only if they are impacted -- which would be from feeding insects too big for them being dehydrated or them eating something they shouldnt have like sand or a inanimate object - good basking temps and correct UVB is going to keep them regular as well -- but the older the dragon gets they dont poop every day or every week -