• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon not eating Veggies

FriezaSama

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! I just recently joined this group. I already posted an introduction post on another intro thread. I know most of you guys already have heard this question but I still want to ask this since a lot of you guys are far more experienced keeper than I am. Ember my Beardie (male, little bit over 4months old) is not very enthusiastic about eating his greens. I have been giving him a variety of greens i.e. Collard greens, Yellow Squash, Butternut Squash, Arugula, Dandelion greens, red bell pepper, etc. I offer greens every day in the morning, he knows that his salad bowl is a source of food but he will not run up to the bowl and eat it. He has had some success and he has eaten a few pieces of greens but he will not eat his entire salad bowl. I have put his feeder insects (dubias or superworms) in the salad bowl and he has accidentally taken in some greens but once he realizes that he ate some greens he gets upset, eats the remaining bugs, and then ignores the rest of the salad and then proceeds to sulk in his warm hide. He has one some occasions accepted greens from being hand-fed but he only does that if I don't give him bugs for 2 days or so. I have also tried moving the greens and putting some bee pollen in the greens and even used a laser pointer but none of that works...His breeder just fed him his feeder insects but he had the insects eat the greens and then had him eat the gut-loaded insects. So it makes my situation a lot harder. I am worried that if he is on an insect only diet even if they are gut loaded with veggies, that he will fall sick or have some other health issues.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! Just keep offering. :0)
At 4 months, he's still in the 80%bugs/20%produce time, so he's probably getting close to that. Just keep trying different things with the salad - different combinations, different formats (like cut small strips,or try shredding/grating for some of the veggies, try the greens hand torn, or cut different ways, etc. (*full disclosure - my current beardie is 10 months old, and I'm still trying with the salads, but I have a Parrotlet who took a full 18 months of being offered veggies every single day before he so much as *tried* any, so I know from experience that persistence can work) :0)

FriezaSama

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is how I get my baby to eat vegies now granted hes like only 9 weeks old but you can still try this as he is still young----------------------- FIRST feed him salad in the morning in a glass bowl that the super worms cant get out -- take and put around 3 supers on top w/ some BSFL around 6-8 on top make sure he sees you putting them on his salad --- that will draw him to the bowl -- hopefully when he goes for them hes getting vegies as well --- my guy gets in the bowl as he is still little--- but first he circles the wagon so to speak listening then he sticks his head over the side and next hes in the bowl ---- then around 45 minutes later or so feed him his insects--- try that and see if it doesnt work
So basically put feeder insects in the bowl?Ive tried that with some success but only if I starved him off bugs the previous day will he actually take in any greens. Also what does BSFL stand for?