• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon not eating. Is it normal?

New beardie owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, my bearded dragon, Freddie, just woke up from a brumation that lasted for around 4 months (it was his first). He was eating for about week and a half now, even did a poop. But all of the sudden he stopped three days ago and is avoiding the basking spot again. Is it normal? Should I be worried?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, my bearded dragon, Freddie, just woke up from a brumation that lasted for around 4 months (it was his first). He was eating for about week and a half now, even did a poop. But all of the sudden he stopped three days ago and is avoiding the basking spot again. Is it normal? Should I be worried?
They will not eat if the surface basking temps are off and incorrect UVB --- NO coils --- dragons should not brumate for more than 3 months --- has he lost weight? We need to cover all the bases before we figure out its something else --- surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- there should be NO colored bulbs no off white or yellowish basking bulbs or Daytime bulbs -- please tell me what exactly your using for lighting in the tank ---

New beardie owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
They will not eat if the surface basking temps are off and incorrect UVB --- NO coils --- dragons should not brumate for more than 3 months --- has he lost weight? We need to cover all the bases before we figure out its something else --- surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- there should be NO colored bulbs no off white or yellowish basking bulbs or Daytime bulbs -- please tell me what exactly your using for lighting in the tank ---
he lost about 5g. I’ve got a thermostat and thermometer controlling the basking spot and it’s always around 38,39C. I attached photos of the lighting I’m using. The UVB takes 3/4 of the vivarium. And the four months started when he limited the food so it could not be as long as I stated. Also, I could have panicked a little too much as he ate about an hour ago. But if you don’t mind I’d take any advice you have for me.

Attachments

• 273F2C10-8303-4E84-8BCB-B0DDCB900958.jpeg
    273F2C10-8303-4E84-8BCB-B0DDCB900958.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 9
  • A57D57DD-8685-49E8-BC95-6F5EAB1A0911.jpeg
    A57D57DD-8685-49E8-BC95-6F5EAB1A0911.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he lost about 5g. I’ve got a thermostat and thermometer controlling the basking spot and it’s always around 38,39C. I attached photos of the lighting I’m using. The UVB takes 3/4 of the vivarium. And the four months started when he limited the food so it could not be as long as I stated. Also, I could have panicked a little too much as he ate about an hour ago. But if you don’t mind I’d take any advice you have for me.
Is your uvb in a fixture/ hood w/ a reflector? Is the uvb inside the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry it’s hard to take the picture of it since it’s long. No it’s not in a hood. I couldn’t find anything long enough
Ok the link I sent you please get one - your dragon is getting little to no uvb- the rays need to be directed downward to him- you can get a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank- I can post a link for the UK

New beardie owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
could that be used for now? iQuatics T5/T8 Aluminium Reflector-Increased output by up to 100%, 45W T5 / 30W T8, Single https://amzn.eu/d/5ik70XL . Since I already got the lamps maybe I could buy just the reflector? I will be replacing the lamps at the end of the holidays but I don’t have the money for it now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
could that be used for now? iQuatics T5/T8 Aluminium Reflector-Increased output by up to 100%, 45W T5 / 30W T8, Single https://amzn.eu/d/5ik70XL . Since I already got the lamps maybe I could buy just the reflector? I will be replacing the lamps at the end of the holidays but I don’t have the money for it now.
Yes it would work - the website I posted sells reflectors as well- but definitely get a reflector - he's not eating because he's not able to absorb / synthesize the calcium he's getting- you want the uvb directly above him 12-15 inches -

New beardie owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes it would work - the website I posted sells reflectors as well- but definitely get a reflector - he's not eating because he's not able to absorb / synthesize the calcium he's getting- you want the uvb directly above him 12-15 inches -
Thank you. I will rearrange things as soon as I’ll get the reflector