• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon not eating for 8 weeks.

Neat45244

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm a new bd owner. We have owned him/her for about 6 months. She had a healthy appetite when we first got her. However it slowed down and she wasn't pooping at all. After some research I found foods and olive oil would help pass a blockage. It worked and she did use the bathroom. Another month went by and no pooping again so I gave her olive oil and once again it worked. She slowly started turning away from her greens and then no insects at all. I've bought every kind of fruit/ vegetables that they are supposed to love and she has no interest. We took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and they couldn't find a blockage and said she didnt have eggs ect. We replaced her uvb bulb to make sure it was good. We dont use loose substrate and she has repti- carpet. She has a basking spot of about 110 on hammock and the cold side of her tank is about 75. She has a night heating lamp without light. I give her a bath every other day and she never poops. She doesnt seem to be losing weight. She tends to just lay off to the side of the hammock all day and night unless I move her. She will eat maybe 2 super worms a week. Nothing else. I've tried meal, wax and Dubai with no interest. Please help, I'm so stressed out she's unwell.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Odd time of year for it, but is it possible she's in brumation? You could also try some silkworms (if you can find them) or hornworms. I'd stay away from the harder worms (meal/super).

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
did your vet do a fecal smear for parasites, if they have parasites it will dramatically reduce their appetite and make them lethargic.

Neat45244

Bearded Dragon Egg
They did not as we cant typically get her to go to the bathroom but to be on the safe side he did give us medicine for her; for parasites. It was one dose a week for three weeks.

Ginger424

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm a new bd owner. We have owned him/her for about 6 months. She had a healthy appetite when we first got her. However it slowed down and she wasn't pooping at all. After some research I found foods and olive oil would help pass a blockage. It worked and she did use the bathroom. Another month went by and no pooping again so I gave her olive oil and once again it worked. She slowly started turning away from her greens and then no insects at all. I've bought every kind of fruit/ vegetables that they are supposed to love and she has no interest. We took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and they couldn't find a blockage and said she didnt have eggs ect. We replaced her uvb bulb to make sure it was good. We dont use loose substrate and she has repti- carpet. She has a basking spot of about 110 on hammock and the cold side of her tank is about 75. She has a night heating lamp without light. I give her a bath every other day and she never poops. She doesnt seem to be losing weight. She tends to just lay off to the side of the hammock all day and night unless I move her. She will eat maybe 2 super worms a week. Nothing else. I've tried meal, wax and Dubai with no interest. Please help, I'm so stressed out she's unwell.
The temps are one of the most important things in aiding digestion. Double check your temp on the basking side and the other side needs to be in the 80’s. Also, make sure she is getting regular mistings. A warm bath also helps with digestion and helps move things through.

Heather Lewis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im a new bd owner myself and havent went through the brumation stage yet so dont really know what to except when that time comes. I had two young dragons but one passed away due to a blockage from me feeding it meal worms. A rookie mistake is what they call that. I was told (by petco) not to feed them meal worms because of the blockage thing. Feed them crickets instead because they have more moisture than the worms so it makes it easier for them to pass. Maybe crickets would spark some interest in your dragon. I dont know.... Just a thought!

Tori Brown

Bearded Dragon Egg
It must be that time of the year because I've been having the same issue with my beardie and we've taken her to the vet; she perfectly healthy had her stool checked and everything. We've tried everything, can't wait until this passes

Neat45244

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for responding. My girl is starting to eat some super worms here and there but not much and wont touch her veggies. She seems to be sleeping a lot.

AlexB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, we just passed through the similar case, in our case, BD was lethargic during summer, almost turned off crickets and we also have tried different food options thinking that she was just becoming picky on the food. We had checked her with Vet and it's all was good. Where we ended - slightly increased her night temperature and she eventually became more active (I still not sure what was it - brumation or something else).