• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon not eating, emaciated, vet unsure

Freddi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,
My bearded dragon Dexter is 6 years old, he has been in the same 4’x 2’ cage with a mercury vapor bulb (150). He has been doing great since i got him at 1 years old from an expo, before and during christmas break he was crazy about food jumping off of his ramp to get some. I left back to college and my mom was saying he isn’t interested anymore, i didn’t think it was anything to worry about as he always goes into brumation and stops eating during cold months. However when I came back in april he still wasn’t interested so I took
him to the vet. She gave him fluids and took his blood. the blood results were fine except his phosphorous was low and his calcium was high like a reproductive female. I have been trying to syringe feed him reptiaid, baby food and pedialyte mixtures but it’s a struggle everyday and soaking daily. Took him back to the vet he got more fluids and an x ray x ray was normal besides his liver being small. Currently he looks awful, I try to feed him everyday and he’s been pooping small poops every few days but he is lethargic and completely uninterested in superworms or waxworms. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m taking him back to the vet on sunday so she can show me how to tube feed him and probably give more fluids. Thank you!!

Freddi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
also to clarify he has not had the same bulb since i got him, i get him a new one every 6-8 months and just bought a new one in march to see if that was the issue

captivatingcookies@yahoo.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
My bearded dragon Dexter is 6 years old, he has been in the same 4’x 2’ cage with a mercury vapor bulb (150). He has been doing great since i got him at 1 years old from an expo, before and during christmas break he was crazy about food jumping off of his ramp to get some. I left back to college and my mom was saying he isn’t interested anymore, i didn’t think it was anything to worry about as he always goes into brumation and stops eating during cold months. However when I came back in april he still wasn’t interested so I took
him to the vet. She gave him fluids and took his blood. the blood results were fine except his phosphorous was low and his calcium was high like a reproductive female. I have been trying to syringe feed him reptiaid, baby food and pedialyte mixtures but it’s a struggle everyday and soaking daily. Took him back to the vet he got more fluids and an x ray x ray was normal besides his liver being small. Currently he looks awful, I try to feed him everyday and he’s been pooping small poops every few days but he is lethargic and completely uninterested in superworms or waxworms. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m taking him back to the vet on sunday so she can show me how to tube feed him and probably give more fluids. Thank you!!

captivatingcookies@yahoo.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
Hi , I know this post is a couple months old, but was just wondering how your dra
Was wondering how your dragon is doing? Ours is having the same issues. Treated for parasites, blood work showed high calcium. She had a very swollen beard which has gone done some over the past three weeks, but no interest in food and very lethargic. Xrays were negative also. Vet is stumped. Basking temps 95 to 97, reptisun 10.0 T8 covers length of cage.
Thanks!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
First of all STOP he wax and meal worms ASAP. Feed Dubia roaches & crickets. And super and hornworms are the Best also but they are high in fat so a few or so a day. The mercury vapor bulb is horrible u need a ZooMed 100watt basking bulb and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB to cover 70
Prcnt of the tank. Place it in the back starting at the hot side. Sounds like he was Over-Calciumed and No proper UVB to abosrob Vitamin D & to breakdown the calcium. It should be lightly dusted on his protein once per day 3 times a week as an adult. Also; are u giving him greens and veggies? He needs dandelions, mustard, collard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap leas an green beans. He should have been getting this all his life in addition to his protein. Rite now get the correct lights ASAP, only do calcium 3times a week, and feed only crickets and Dubias and Horn/superwrs. If u have sand substrate; remove it ASAP. And use white terry cloth towels or paper towels or smooth shelf liner from target. Also find a new Vet ASAP!! U can make a Beardie super sick with too much calcium and not the proper UVB and meal & wax worms are horrible for them; it destroys their tummy and impacts them. Please make these changes ASAP to save him and get a new vet. For rite now maybe take a break for a week or so off the calcium since vet sis he has too
Much in his system and get the proper lighting and digital thermometer & digital Hygometer. also, use this weather to let him bask next to you in he hot sun with the real UVB till you get your Reptisun from amazon.