• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Not Basking.

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, my bearded dragon hasn't basked in about 3 months or so but his temps are correct. I'm working in building a basking platform to see if he will prefer to be elevated, but i don't know why he doesn't bask. He spends most his time inside his hide and only comes out once in a while when i feed him. Is he hiding from his UVB light? Should i have his UVB and basking lights on opposite sides? His temp is 102-106 on his basking side. He is about 1 year and 2 months old and he has no parasites. Could he have a respiratory infection or any other sickness?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, my bearded dragon hasn't basked in about 3 months or so but his temps are correct. I'm working in building a basking platform to see if he will prefer to be elevated, but i don't know why he doesn't bask. He spends most his time inside his hide and only comes out once in a while when i feed him. Is he hiding from his UVB light? Should i have his UVB and basking lights on opposite sides? His temp is 102-106 on his basking side. He is about 1 year and 2 months old and he has no parasites. Could he have a respiratory infection or any other sickness?
Try lowering the surface basking temps first 95-100 most older dragons do not like it that hot-- he could also be brumating -- keep the UVB and the basking light together -- what is the distance for the UVB ? It should be 12-15 inches for a T 5 inside the tank -- and make sure your using a digital probe thermometer please

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Try lowering the surface basking temps first 95-100 most older dragons do not like it that hot-- he could also be brumating -- keep the UVB and the basking light together -- what is the distance for the UVB ? It should be 12-15 inches for a T 5 inside the tank -- and make sure your using a digital probe thermometer please
I am using a probe and a temp gun. they both say the same. I'll lower his temp to around 97 or so and see if he likes that. He has a 10.0 tube and it's about 15 inches or so from the ground. it covers his basking side of his tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a probe and a temp gun. they both say the same. I'll lower his temp to around 97 or so and see if he likes that. He has a 10.0 tube and it's about 15 inches or so from the ground. it covers his basking side of his tank.
Ok try the temps and watch his behavior

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Ok try the temps and watch his behavior
He's been sitting in the basking spot more and more eating more greens but hasn't basked in his cage yet. He was outside his cage on the ground and started basking for 3 seconds on the cold ground but i'm not sure why.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's been sitting in the basking spot more and more eating more greens but hasn't basked in his cage yet. He was outside his cage on the ground and started basking for 3 seconds on the cold ground but i'm not sure why.
He was outside?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
outside of his cage. He likes to explore my room so i let him out and he just runs around.
Is he basking under the UVB ? How are his poops? And you said hes eating? But we need him pooping and if hes not basking hes not getting his digestion started

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Is he basking under the UVB ? How are his poops? And you said hes eating? But we need him pooping and if hes not basking hes not getting his digestion started
he isn't basking when he is under any light, and he poops about once a week and still eats on a regular basis. he sits in his basking area and his hide but never basks.

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
i also heard about trying to turn his UVB for a day and see if he basks. if he does then i need to adjust how low his light it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i also heard about trying to turn his UVB for a day and see if he basks. if he does then i need to adjust how low his light it.
turn his UVB for a day??? what do you mean? It is normal for them to poop once a week --- mine dont poop for like 3 weeks -- both of them --- but when they do they let loose-- did you get the temps lowered like I had posted earlier and what kind of basking bulb are you using? How close is the UVB and is it in the tank? Is your basking bulb a solid clear white bulb --- no off colored or yellowish or daytime bulbs those have neoyidium coating on them

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
turn his UVB for a day??? what do you mean? It is normal for them to poop once a week --- mine dont poop for like 3 weeks -- both of them --- but when they do they let loose-- did you get the temps lowered like I had posted earlier and what kind of basking bulb are you using? How close is the UVB and is it in the tank? Is your basking bulb a solid clear white bulb --- no off colored or yellowish or daytime bulbs those have neoyidium coating on them
he poops about once a week and i'm using an 100 watt basking bulb from Zoo Med but i can't tell exactly what color it is. The UVB is in the tank and about 14-16 inches from the floor.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he poops about once a week and i'm using an 100 watt basking bulb from Zoo Med but i can't tell exactly what color it is. The UVB is in the tank and about 14-16 inches from the floor.
Is the Zoo Med bulb a daytime bulb? Or is it the Repti basking bulb ? It needs to be a bright white -- no off white or yellowish bulb --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the Zoo Med bulb a daytime bulb? Or is it the Repti basking bulb ? It needs to be a bright white -- no off white or yellowish bulb --
Update on the dragon please

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Update on the dragon please
He's been pooping but still staying in his hide a lot of the day. Took him to the vet and he said that there is no sign of any sickness or anything wrong. I'm adding more items into his cage to elevate his basking area to entice him to bask. Also the bulb i have for him is a repti basking bulb that is meant for heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's been pooping but still staying in his hide a lot of the day. Took him to the vet and he said that there is no sign of any sickness or anything wrong. I'm adding more items into his cage to elevate his basking area to entice him to bask. Also the bulb i have for him is a repti basking bulb that is meant for heat.
Ok that is a pretty good basking bulb -- so hes coming out to eat?

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Ok that is a pretty good basking bulb -- so hes coming out to eat?
No, he only eats greens after i take him out of his cage and then put him back in. So after he is out back into his cage is when he eats some greens. Could the UVB be too close? It seems that he has been hiding more ever since I got this bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, he only eats greens after i take him out of his cage and then put him back in. So after he is out back into his cage is when he eats some greens. Could the UVB be too close? It seems that he has been hiding more ever since I got this bulb.
How far is the UVB from the basking decor? You dont want it real close so I dont know how tall the basking decor piece is your using for the UVB - the basking bulb is it the Intense basking bulb ? Hiding more from which bulb?

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
How far is the UVB from the basking decor? You dont want it real close so I dont know how tall the basking decor piece is your using for the UVB - the basking bulb is it the Intense basking bulb ? Hiding more from which bulb?
He hides more from the UVB and it's 14 inches from his decor. The tube is a T5 10.0 tube.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He hides more from the UVB and it's 14 inches from his decor. The tube is a T5 10.0 tube.
That is odd I don't understand why- those are good and safe bulbs- the basking bulb is a intense or a daytime bulbs?