• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi
My friend has a 2 year old dragon and his nails are getting quite long, we were just wondering if you are ever supposed to trim or cut them or are you supposed to just let them be

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You're supposed to cut them, But my best friend's bearded dragon is 5 and they haven't cut their nails in a long time!

We would cut our beardie's nails when he is older, But we're not sure. We're even afraid of trimming our dog's nails, thinking it might hurt her! xD

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we cut marleys with nail clippers,but only the black nail that grows over the top of the clear nail,wve been led to believe theres a vain in the clear nail ,we could be wrong but we dont wont you to hurt your dragon.if we are wrong could someone tell us as it would make nail cutting a lot easier,ps it might sound daft but when hes settled we also file them a bit with a nail file,it works for us ;) ;)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would take Bernie out of his viv about 30 minutes before bedtime. He's fall asleep on me or the sofa. Then I would have a go at it.

Yes, there is a vein that runs in their nails. You are correct in only cutting the black part and not clear part. That is where the vein is.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Yes, there is a vein that runs in their nails. You are correct in only cutting the black part and not clear part. That is where the vein is.

So I guess the point is, that if you trim the "black part" often, then the vein should not continue to grow under the nail. Because I have seen that when I don't trim for awhile it seem that the nail is longer but so is the vein (clear part) underneath.

I did find out the hardway that if that is nicked they will bleed....and you, in turn will feel incredibly guilty since you get the stare ... the silent stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.