• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon mouth rot?

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey. My beardie is currently on treatment for pinworms and all is going well, however, I had to syringe feed him for a while and now there seems to be a bruise on the spot i used to put the syringe through. Could this be just a cut bruise or does it look like mouth rot?
It started as a little dark spot on his lip and now it looks like its scabbed with some red dots on the inside of the mouth around this bruise. He has a vet appointment but only next month. I have been treating this with dilluted betadine and raw honey since yesterday. Does it look concerning to go to the vet earlier?

Attachments

• 20210227_162144.jpg
    20210227_162144.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210227_162134.jpg
    20210227_162134.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210227_162127.jpg
    20210227_162127.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 43

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fisrt off your dragon lookes cute second off. Please show me your setup. I not source what It is but wait for more people to show up to get more advice.

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fisrt off your dragon lookes cute second off. Please show me your setup. I not source what It is but wait for more people to show up to get more advice.
This is not his permanent furniture, just temporary stuff during his pinworm treatment.
He has 12% arcadia uv light and 100w exo terra intense basking spot

Attachments

• 20210227_170721.jpg
    20210227_170721.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210227_170752.jpg
    20210227_170752.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you feeding anything red to have the red dots --- have you tried washing it off - I would switch to the other side for now and see if the one side gets worse- are you using raw unpasteurized honey? To me it looks like some sort of stain or possibly shed - - your UVB needs to be directly over a piece of basking decor w/ 12-15 inches --

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What kind of betadine are you using? And whats ur ratio for dilu

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Diluted* betadine can be strong and you could be burning his lip , ive used it in the past and it does a good job.

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Diluted* betadine can be strong and you could be burning his lip , ive used it in the past and it does a good job.
I put a drop of it in a tea cup and fill with water up until the middle or more. Its until it is a very light faint yellow

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you feeding anything red to have the red dots --- have you tried washing it off - I would switch to the other side for now and see if the one side gets worse- are you using raw unpasteurized honey? To me it looks like some sort of stain or possibly shed - - your UVB needs to be directly over a piece of basking decor w/ 12-15 inches --
Its bruised i cant wash it off... its the place where i placed the syringe through. The other side is fine. I am using raw homemade honey yes. The Uvb is in a place like that

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I put a drop of it in a tea cup and fill with water up until the middle or more. Its until it is a very light faint yellow
Thats too diluted in my opinion, try a 1-5 or 1-4 ratio, I thought he had a chem burn thats why i asked, (ive used double strength betadine on myself before, it just kills the top layer of skin really, didn’t hurt at all) if anything we’d rather him have a lil burn than a fungal infection starting (im not advising you to hurt ur beardie , im jus sayin) can we see the syringe? I think u may be right in your hypothesis, keep an eye on the teeth behind the spot ur concerned about.

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its a normal betadine. The syringe is the one given by the vet. When hes feeding he bites it and damages it and I think the plastic might have cut him. I sand it a bit when it gets too damaged to stay smooth

Attachments

• 20210228_111153.jpg
    20210228_111153.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210228_111120.jpg
    20210228_111120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea the syringe is banging him up for shure , that looks like a wide tip syringe? Is it possible for you to heat it up and squish the very tip to make it nore oval shape, if he’s biting it , to me that sounds like hes playing you and he wants his mommy to baba feed him , is he eating bugs or is he still weak?

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea the syringe is banging him up for shure , that looks like a wide tip syringe? Is it possible for you to heat it up and squish the very tip to make it nore oval shape, if he’s biting it , to me that sounds like hes playing you and he wants his mommy to baba feed him , is he eating bugs or is he still weak?
I dont know what baba feed him means ahah. I dont want to heat it up cus i dont want to mess it up. He hasnt had syring since about day 14 of this month when he started eating bugs by himself

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Baba=Baby bottle=his syringe , try the betadine again if you’re still worried, but i think he’s fine, mouthrot is more rare compared to scale and tail rot, all usually come from a cage mate biting them or a cut or bruise then it gets infected , but your setup looks nice and clean, so I doubt he has mouth rot

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks :) I already applied the betadine today now im about to put a little bit of raw honey. It looks like its getting better

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks :) I already applied the betadine today now im about to put a little bit of raw honey. It looks like its getting better
I dont know if ive asked this or uve stated, but how long have u been using the betadine, if its been a week, id say stop using it, cause as ive stated above it can burn him , but thats only if it’s looking worse, if it was mouth rot just starting it would of been gone in 4-7 days with the correct treatment.

Witchcvlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont know if ive asked this or uve stated, but how long have u been using the betadine, if its been a week, id say stop using it, cause as ive stated above it can burn him , but thats only if it’s looking worse, if it was mouth rot just starting it would of been gone in 4-7 days with the correct