• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon lighting

Guinea_Pig

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, I was just wondering what the best lighting setup/lightbulbs are best for budget. I’m a highschooler and don’t have a tom of money, but I want to ensure my beardie has a good setup!
Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I was just wondering what the best lighting setup/lightbulbs are best for budget. I’m a highschooler and don’t have a tom of money, but I want to ensure my beardie has a good setup!
Thanks!
How big is the tank? I recommend a 24 watt Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb found at pet smart or a sunblaster nano tech 2ft or 24"- I can post links tomorrow - those are the best and these bulbs are crucial for the overall health of your dragon- you don't want to skimp on your dragons lighting- he needs a solid clear bright white basking bulb - no colored bulbs no off white no yellowish or daytime bulbs- they cause eye issues - you need two digital probe thermometers- those are the best for getting accurate surface basking temps-- stick ons are ambient temps only- I can post links for all these things if you need me to - how old is the dragon?

Guinea_Pig

Hatchling Dragon
I live in AZ, so I got her at the Tucson reptile expo. I got her last year at the beginning of October, and she was still pretty small. I don't know her exact age, but she’s at least a year old by now. I have a digital probe thermometer, and her lighting was good for a while, but now she’s brumating and I wanted to update it before she wakes up. If you could post links for the bulbs that would be amazing. Thank you so much!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live in AZ, so I got her at the Tucson reptile expo. I got her last year at the beginning of October, and she was still pretty small. I don't know her exact age, but she’s at least a year old by now. I have a digital probe thermometer, and her lighting was good for a while, but now she’s brumating and I wanted to update it before she wakes up. If you could post links for the bulbs that would be amazing. Thank you so much!
Try Pet Smart for this fixture 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse look in store or order on line
or this one 24" fixture you will need to change the bulb out in this one to this 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the 10.0 bulb -
or this fixture 24" or 2 ft the bulb I posted above needs to be used for the Nano Tech
When you get the UVB please let me know I will help you place it for your tank - that will be determined by the screen on your tank - make sure shes not brumating for longer than 3 months - please get her out every couple of weeks to offer water - I would weigh her on a kitchen scale as well weigh in grams - she should not be losing a lot of weight some is normal - if she is losing a lot of weight there is a issue going on - all the UVB bulbs I posted need to be changed out approx one year after install I recommend 10-11 months

Guinea_Pig

Hatchling Dragon
Try Pet Smart for this fixture 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse look in store or order on line
or this one 24" fixture you will need to change the bulb out in this one to this 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the 10.0 bulb -
or this fixture 24" or 2 ft the bulb I posted above needs to be used for the Nano Tech
When you get the UVB please let me know I will help you place it for your tank - that will be determined by the screen on your tank - make sure shes not brumating for longer than 3 months - please get her out every couple of weeks to offer water - I would weigh her on a kitchen scale as well weigh in grams - she should not be losing a lot of weight some is normal - if she is losing a lot of weight there is a issue going on - all the UVB bulbs I posted need to be changed out approx one year after install I recommend 10-11 months
Ok, thanks for all of the tips.

Guinea_Pig

Hatchling Dragon
Just a quick question, though. How much is she supposed to weigh? She’s always been a little small, and I just weighed her and she’s roughly 300 grams

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a quick question, though. How much is she supposed to weigh? She’s always been a little small, and I just weighed her and she’s roughly 300 grams
She should weigh 300 + for brumation - so shes good now- just keep a eye on her weight - let me know when you get the UVB