• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bearded dragon keeps running from me

Robert B Cottrill

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my bearded dragon 4 weeks ago at first he wasn't afraid of me came home the next day the lid was open and his cage was messed up i thought the cat got him and i found him under the green rug in his cage and after that he keeps running from me every night i go in there to get him to give him some attention so he wont be afraid. any other suggestions

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my bearded dragon 4 weeks ago at first he wasn't afraid of me came home the next day the lid was open and his cage was messed up i thought the cat got him and i found him under the green rug in his cage and after that he keeps running from me every night i go in there to get him to give him some attention so he wont be afraid. any other suggestions

With new ones it just takes time and patience.. It's pretty common that this happens they are ok for a short time then they realize oh crap what's going on all of a sudden.. Few things to remember we are HUGE to them so make sure you approach them from in front so they see you coming. That way you also avoid their "3rd eye" it is an organ on top of their head it's the 1 scale between their eyes that doesn't look like the rest. It detects shadows from above. Go slow and lift them up by going under their chin and scoop them up so their belly is in your palm and put other hand under back feet.
Another trick is to do most handling close to lights out for the night as they are not as alert and you can work on the trust bond as they fall asleep on your chest..then you can then put them to bed once time.
Putting the time in now will pay off in the end with a bond filled with trust

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
^^^agreed. You can also try hand feeding insects, especially treat ones, so he associates you with food. I did that one when mine was little and I would pick him up and feed him outside of the tank so he associated being picked up with food.

I never had.much luck picking him up from the front- I think the sight of a huge hand coming at him always freaked him out. Instead i would make sure He saw my hand in the tank and slowly slide under his belly from the side, so I could lift up his whole body at once.

Does your beardie have a hide or 2? Good hides should prevent him from hiding under the carpet.