• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon keeps it mouth open all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beardie fan

I don't know why, but my bearded dragon, while it basks, keeps its mouth wide open like its trying to get a tongue-tan. Does anyone know why it does this?

It doesn't seem to be a bad thing, I just want to make sure. Please let me know if anyone has any insight on this.

Thanks

turtlesdaddy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
To me it does not sound like there is a problem. Do you bath or mist your beardie? If so it may be a hint.

Sorry about the delay

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
keeps its mouth wide open like its trying to get a tongue-tan
Thats funny :)

They open their mouth, while basking, for thermal regulation. They're heating up their core temps. Its similar to a dog panting.

BillyJack

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Let me be the one to add worry to the mix. Could be a URI...or just regulating body temps!

Warro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
From what I know they do this to cool off. Rocky does it all the time when basking!

Jason-Zola

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Zola would keep his mouth open when sitting under his light basking but does not keep this open when sitting away from this.

Blaise2oo6

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Warro said:
From what I know they do this to cool off.

This is what I thought too. Are you controlling the temperatures in your beardies environment? Maybe his basking area is too hot.

HUNTEQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It might have a sore or minor infection in his/her mouth, or it needs to get out more such as a bigger cage or on a leash, don't do free.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they do this to thermoregulate their body temps like mentioned before...the difference between this and the gaping due to a respiratory infection is that when its an RI they will gape even under the cool area of the tank and most likely be very lethargic and not eat as well..i just treated one of my dragons for an RI which thankfully wasnt as bad as most people had to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.